Chapter 13

Diane was walking in the hallway when someone called her name. It was a bit noisy in the hall, as always, that she couldn't hear it properly. Besides, she wasn't the only Diane in the whole school so she didn't want to assume that she was the one being called. It happened to her a lot of times, someone was calling her name, she turned but it turned out that she wasn't the one being called, it was another Diane and in the end, she just felt embarrassed. Elise, though there were a lot of Elise's in the school, it was always only her being called. Elise is popular and Diane knows that. They are best friend but she couldn't be compared to Elise. It is already in her head.

The voice kept calling her name but she just continued to walk, however a cold grip in the shoulders made her stop. In surprise, she turned and saw Tom. It was Tom.

"I've been calling you but you seemed not to hear me." Tom smiled at her.

Diane was speechless. She did not know how to respond to that. Besides, just like Elise, the whole school knows Tom. Even though his name is common, he is the greatest Tom that the whole school knows. How many times did Semper Virgo College Basketball team won against other Colleges because of Tom and his team. It was always a victory whenever Tom plays with the team. It was only once, that Semper Virgo College lost because Tom couldn't play with his injured ankle. Because of that, the school believed that Tom is the ace of the team.

Diane could see people looking at them, whispering about them. She was busy scrutinizing the place that she couldn't decipher Tom's words on her.

"Alright?" Tom ended his words but Diane couldn't comprehend him. He took her shoulders and shook her back to herself.

"Yeah?" Diane asked when she felt herself returned to the ground.

"Alright, I'll just repeat myself..." Tom sighed. This time, he had Diane's full attention. "meet me at The Chimney later, maybe at 3 pm. There is something I would like to ask of you." He continued.

Diane smiled, it must be some sort of a date, she thought. She nodded as a reply. Tom smiled sweetly to her before running away.

At exactly 3 pm, Diane waited outside The Chimney, the coffee shop a few blocks away from Semper Virgo College. She was still wearing her cheerleader uniform, patiently and nervously, waiting. She did not want to go inside for she wanted to welcome Tom. After a few minutes, a silhouette of a young man could be seen walking towards the coffee shop. In excitement, Diane smiled widely. It was Tom. He too was still wearing his basketball jersey. They would look like a sporty couple with what they were wearing.

"Why didn't you wait for me inside?" Tom asked when he approached Diane.

"I don't want to be alone with other people." Diane just said.

"Alright, let's go in." Tom said, placing his hands on Diane's shoulders.

They sat in an empty table near the windows so they could see the view outside which was only composed of different shops and cars.

Tom pulled a chair. Diane almost walked towards it but Tom sat on it immediately instead. Diane scoffed and pulled a chair for herself across Tom.

"So why did you ask me here?" Diane asked, now with a hint of disappointment in her voice.

Instead of answering, Tom asked what Diane wanted to drink.

"Caramel Macchiato for me." Diane answered back.

Tom stood up to order. "Okay that makes two Caramel Macchiato." He smiled and walked towards the counter.

Diane waited for Tom to return. She gazed outside the window, watching the people walking and running. She never thought that watching people would be this interesting until now. She sighed. At last, she was now in a date with the famous and greatest Tom. After a couple of minutes, Tom returned with two drinks in his hands. He placed the first one near Diane and sat.