Chapter 16

"I'm pregnant."

The words that Meghan spoke last night play through my head over and over again. I was so thrilled when she told me she was pregnant I had to turn away so she wouldn't see the happy tear that fell from the corner of my eye. This is what I've been praying for for the past five years. A chance for us to reconnect, to start a family. Obviously, this isn't how I planned it but it doesn't matter.

The thrilling feeling I felt only lasted a second before I realized she was pushing me away. She's pregnant but she's saying we can't be together. I didn't understand why and when I turned around to ask her she had gone inside already.

I've spent all night staring at the ceiling, trying to figure out why she was pushing me away. It suddenly hits me and I want to laugh at how obvious it is. The more I think about it the more I realize it's the only reason she could be pushing me away. She doesn't think I'm responsible enough to be a father. She sees me as the guy I was in high school, the one who turns everything into a joke. I'm not that guy anymore. I'm responsible, I can support a family. I just need to prove that to Meghan.

Jumping out of bed, I quickly throw on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. I have the perfect plan. I send Cameron and Melanie a quick 'emergency' text, I'll need their help to make this work, and head to my truck.

—————

When I get back to my house an hour later Cameron's Audi and Mel's Ferrari are both sitting in my driveway. Good, they can help me unload these supplies. I get out of my truck, then grab the buckets of paint I just bought and walk toward the house.

When I step inside Cameron is already by the door. "You said you had an emergency so I canceled all my meetings and drive here and you're not even home. Why do you have paint?"

"There's some tape and rollers in the back of my truck, go grab them." I tell him, ignoring his question. I look at Mel who's studying me. "Come on."

She silently follows me to the extra room across from mine and Cameron walks in after her. They both stare at me like I've finally gone crazy.

"I thought you weren't going to decorate any part of the house without Meghan." Mel whispers, as if hoping I won't get upset at her for mentioning Meghan. In the past, I probably would have but now it's different.

"Meghan's pregnant and I want to surprise her with a nursery." Cameron's jaw drops and Mel squeals then pulls me into a hug.

"What can we do to help? Want me to start unwrapping brushes? I can stir the paint if you want?"

"Actually," I pull a pamphlet out of the pocket of my jeans. "A guy at the paint store gave me this, it has ideas for nurseries. This," I point at the nursery I think Meghan will love "Is what I want. If I give you my card can you go get a crib and a changing table and everything else we need to decorate the room?"

"You're asking me to go shopping?" She gawks.

"....Yes."

"Where's your card?"

I hand her my card and she practically sprints out of the room like a child going to get ice-cream.

The second she's out of the room I notice Cameron has already opened a can of paint and is smirking at me.

"What?" I ask grabbing paint tape from the bag on the floor.

"Nothing." He shrugs. "Haven't seen you this happy in a while."

The thought of Meghan makes me happy. Just like the thought of Mia used to make him happy. "You know, when Meghan and I get back together, Mia's going to be around a lot."