19

"Come in." The gravely voice on the other side of the door responds to my knock.

"Hey Todd." I say walking into my bosses office. Todd is the owner of Electrik, the stress of owning a bar shows itself in the streaks of silver in his hair.

"Hello Meghan," He takes his glasses off and grabs a check off his desk, handing it to me. "It's been a pleasure having you here and I wish the best to you and your child. He or she is lucky to have you as a mother." He gives me a friendly smile and offers me a hug.

I wrap my arms around his stubby figure. "Todd, you gave a college drop, who was disowned by her parents, a job. You made sure I was always comfortable, if I didn't like someone I was serving I always felt I could come and tell you and you'd get someone else to do it. I can't thank you enough."

He pulls away and smiles at me. "Good luck kid."

After giving the empty bar one last look I walk out to my car.

"Do you feel good about your decision?" My mom asks, looking at me with a faint smile.

"Yeah," I tell her. "I feel good."

My dad called me a few days ago to tell me he was having a weekly allowance transferred to my bank account, when I told Mia she suggested quitting work to focus on the baby. The more I thought about it, the more I thought it was a good idea. So, here I am, having just quit the job that took up most of my nights for the past three years.

"Well Amelia be joining us?" My mother asks as we pull into Hopkins Hospital.

"No," I️ say as I️ put my car in park. "She has to work."

My mom opens the car door. "Where is she working?"

"Mick's." My mom's brows furrow in confusion. "It's a diner near our apartment."

"Oh."

"Hi Miss. Hume, how are we feeling today?" Dr. Kingston walks into the room.

"Good," I️ smile at her. "The morning sickness has gone away so that's a plus."

She chuckles. "So who is this?"

"Oh, this is my mom."

"Mrs. Hume, it's nice to meet you."

"You as well Dr. Kingston."

"Well, let's look at baby!"

I️ get on the table and lie down, lifting my shirt. My stomach clenches as she squirts blue gel onto my stomach.

"Cold." I️ laugh.

The sound of a heartbeat fills the room. "And there's Baby right there." She points to the screen. "So baby's heartbeat sounds nice and strong."

I️ look at my mom and she has tears in her eyes.

"So baby is fifteen weeks and starting to practice sucking, kicking, and swallowing."

The appointment is over quickly and my mom and I️ head out for lunch.

"I️ don't want to be called Grandmother."

"What?"

"Grandmother seems to formal, can I️ be called Nanna?"

"Mom," I️ laugh. "You can have the baby call you whatever you want."

My mom gives me a teary smile. "I'm sorry for how little your father and I️ have been in your life, I️ promise to make it up to you."

"I️ forgive you mom."

While I️ sit and eat lunch, my mom talks about what she thinks the baby should call my dad, and I️ can't help but smile.

Because, I'm that moment I'm thankful for where my life is headed.

***
Happy Thanksgiving!🦃 🍁 🦃

My family went out of town for the weekend and I️ wrote this and I️ decided to just post it.

It's just a filler but things are getting ready to pick up!

Quick question, would any of you readers want to read another story I️ write? I've had quite a few story ideas, one I️ even wrote the prologue and first chapter for, if I️ posted it on wattpad would you read it? Or should I️ just keep it in my notebook?

Comment! Vote! Share!