Chapter 17

Luke's POV

I inhaled sharply, holding the file in hand and glancing down at my watch. I tapped my foot impatiently, waiting for my father and his protégé. I stared towards the floor of the car when the door opened catching me off guard. I didn't bother to look up as I knew Kelsey sat next to me. "Where's my father?" I spoke monotonously.

"He's taking another car." Kelsey answered curtly.

"Drive George." I motioned towards our driver and he nodded, fixing the rearview mirror. I knotted and unknotted my hands together. Kelsey and I hadn't talked or even dared to bring up the events of my birthday. The day was what can I say... out of this world? I, admittedly, loved every fucking minute I spent with her that day. The flashback of memories made me scowl. Bittersweet memories of her smiling and trying to find a constellation with me filled my head. I hated that I loved every moment with her because as soon as it begun ended almost as quickly.

"You're looking good today Miss Willard." George attempted to make conversation.

"Thank you, George."

"So what might you both be doing today?"

"Attending a meeting with Mr Brooks. He wants us to sit in and learn some things from the seniors and higher staff."

"Bullshit if you ask me." A devious smirk managed to find it's way onto my lips making George laugh.

"Of course you'd think that Luke." Kelsey let out a melodic laugh and I was taken back to the moment from a few days ago.

"Oh, Luke! You can't be serious right now! That is not what you think it is!"

"Kelsey that is two bunnies fucking."

"No, it's a chicken!"

"Kelsey are you blind."

"No. The real question is are you blind?"

"Blinded by your beauty yes." She let out a melodic laugh and I twisted my body to face her.

"What beauty?"

"Don't say that." I frowned. "You were specifically created Aphrodite herself. Made by the gods themselves even. Your beauty outshines every other person's beauty in the whole wide universe."

"Luke?" I heard a soft voice.

"Mr Brooks we've arrived at the destination." I heard George. I roll my shoulders, trying to calm myself before I enter the meeting. I watched Kelsey elegantly slip out of the car. I turned and opened the door for myself, grabbing the file, I closed the door behind me and walked around the car. I stood next to Kelsey, smoothing out my suit. "Thank you, George." I nodded with a smile and I strolled, coolly towards the entrance.

I halted in my steps, not feeling a presence next to me. I looked back to see Kelsey standing there still and unmoving. I furrowed my eyebrows and sighed, taking a quick glance at my watch. I turned around and walked towards her slowly.

"Kelsey?" She didn't say anything just looked at the large building behind me.

I groaned, "I don't have time for this baby. We both don't have time for this." My cold fingers brushed under her chin. Before I gripped at it pulling her face down to meet me at eye level. "Stop it," I spoke to her harshly. Her vulnerable expression, hardened and she opened her mouth to speak to me. "No." I shook my head. "I understand you may be nervous, scared and feeling vulnerable now but I don't care. They don't care. Once you enter that building and my father's hierarchy see you they won't hasten to rip you apart piece by piece until they see what you're really worth. Until they see why my father picked you."