XIX. Escape From Pursuers

The small fire Joseph lit was struggling against the wind as he and Liana camped for the night in the Northern woods. They just barely lost the horsemen pursuing them through most of the forest.

            “Where are we to go now, my princess?” Joseph asked as they ate their supper.

            “We’ll be meeting Illysia in the central city and she will be accompanied by the kids of the prophecy,” she told Joseph.

            “Illysia? Your lady-in-waiting is with the kids of the prophecy?”

            “Oh. Yes, father sent her as the nation’s representative and we agreed if ever I escaped from the castle, we meet at the Central city.”

“You’ve grown to become a great strategist, you’ll become a great queen,”

“I was taught by the best,” Liana said glancing at Joseph and smiled. He smiled in turn.

“We are tired and worn, let us get ourselves some rest before we set out on our journey once more tomorrow,” Liana said sleepily and just like that, she was asleep.

When Joseph was certain she was asleep, he got up to his feet and went some distance away from where they made camp. He took out his mirror from under his robes and said under his breath, “Glass of visions, become my eyes, make me see what I desire,” and his eyes turned green the instant he released the magic. At that moment the glass rippled and the image of Jackie, Mikey, Heather, Jaren and Illysia appeared.

“Good, the witch hasn’t found them yet,” he said relieved, but he wondered, where is the other one.

That morning, Joseph banked the fire and they started towards the central city. It was sunny but the wind was chilly which seemed pretty peculiar.

“I feel it, the cold, it is the sign, the witch is beginning to build-up her power,” Liana told Joseph softly as she wrapped her cloak around her tightly to keep her warmer.

“Which makes it even more important that we reach the central city as soon as possible to meet them and see Yalina,” Joseph replied, helping Liana mount her steed and they set-off. After an hour of riding, they came upon a battered, old man along the road. “Are you alright?” Liana asked worriedly.

“GO BACK! TURN BACK! The bandits have invaded the village up ahead. Go if you wish to live!” the man screamed and ran away.

“Joseph, there are bandits here,” Liana said and Joseph could see the scared look on her face. It’s too early for her to face a fight, she’s not yet ready.

“What do you wish to do, princess,” Joseph asked.

“I want to face them, there seems to be no battle going on, I think they just took over the village but they haven’t really destroyed it. I’d rather pass this town than face the fiends who inhabit the forest.”

“But Liana, it’s too dangerous either way,” Joseph protested.

“Haven’t I proven to you I’m not an ordinary girl?” she asked, annoyed of Joseph’s objection.

“Alright, but the second you get as much as a scratch, I’m taking you out of there, even if I fight a whole pack of rebels.” He yielded, and she just smiled and continued towards the village.