I. Welcome to my Life

“Wake up, Honey, Time for school, you’re gonna be late…again

“Unh, Five more minutes, Mom” I grumbled from under my covers. A moment later, I rolled out of bed, walked to the mirror rubbing the sleep out of my eyes. I took a quick shower, brushed my teeth, and untangled the wild locks, which is my hair, and went down for breakfast. I’m Jackie and welcome to my life.

I took a clubhouse sandwich from the counter then, “Hey that’s my sandwich,” growled Mikey. Oh yeah, He’s my older brother, we’re fraternal twins; He’s still 2 minutes older than me but already a few inches taller, we’re fourteen. He reached out his arm and as I was about to sink my teeth to the yummy sandwich, it flew out of my hands and into Mikey’s plate. 

“MOM!” I shouted and she gave me my own breakfast and said to Mikey, “You’re not supposed to use magic unnecessarily! We wouldn’t want neighbors talking about flying sandwiches, would we?”

Oh, I forgot to tell you, we come from a line of wizards and witches, well my mom is anyway.

“If I didn’t then MY sandwich would’ve been devoured by that,” he said, directing the last word at me as I shoved a whole hotcake in my mouth. “What? I’m starving!” I growled a few moments later after I swallowed my pancake.

“Good Morning,” Dad said; he’s a folkloric enthusiast and a normal human, although he knows of our magical abilities.

“Morning Dad!” I said as Mikey and I was just getting our stuff and on our way to school. “Bye! See ya later.”

Mikey and I are really close but we often argue, maybe it’s just how a sister-brother relationship works, right? If you saw us, you wouldn’t think we were twins, you wouldn’t even think we are related. You see, I’m sort of the happy-go-lucky-wants-to-hang-with-my-friends-in-the-mall-while-doing-some-major-shopping type of person whereas Mikey is, uh, somewhat the dark, silent type.

As we went to school, a thought came to me. I remembered my way-too-weird-dream from last night. I mentioned it to Mikey and I was rather dumb-founded when he told me he had the same exact dream as I had.

“Weird,” he said

We were about 10 feet from the school when suddenly; I stopped in my tracks, forgetting all the weirdness, with my legs starting to feel like Jell-O. I was almost blacking-out. I…I was-… uh… “Good Morning!” said a voice. “Hi,” I greeted Heather and Viola, my best buds.

The three of us were inseparable since kindergarten. Viola is a really pretty girl with her brown hair and eyes, a cute pinkish blush that shows through her pale skin. Though she is a bit small, but don’t tell her I said that, she makes up for it by being the most talented person I know, and I know a lot of people. Heather is much easier to describe. One word: Motormouth! She never shuts up, which is good because I never ever get bored with her around. She’s really cute and cuddly, heehee. Well, she has short black hair and, like Viola, dark brown eyes, high cheekbones and a really enchanting smile.

“What,” Viola asked, “are you staring at? Oh… I see you’re staring at Jaren again, aren’t you?” she said indicating a dark haired boy with his Oh-so-beautiful dark brown eyes and his dreamy voice and… and… c’mon Jackie! Snap out of it, this is wrong! What about Jan? I asked myself.

“You really like him don’t you?” asked Heather with a smile.

“No, Yes, I mean, AAH, I don’t know, I mean what about Jan?”

They just rolled her eyes. “Hey! You coming or what?” asked Mikey. And we started toward him. There is just something special about Jaren, I dunno what but there is something.

“Okay, class, these will be the pairings for the next Science project.” Ms. Johnson said, posting a piece of paper on the class bulletin board, before she walked away after last period.

“Oh, man! She just gets more boring everyday.” I snorted and Viola just chuckled. We went up to see the bulletin board, pushing everybody else stampeding to know their lab partners. After a hundred years, or so, I finally reached the board and I almost jumped for joy at what I saw. Jaren! Now, isn’t it my lucky day or what? Wait! No, Jan not Jaren, Jan, Jan, Jan.  “Who’s yours?” asked Heather in an excited tone.