XVII. A Friend From The Deep

I waited there the whole afternoon staring at my own reflection, mulling over the things that had just happened. Then a head popped out of the water again, it was the same mermaid I saw before, “Wait!,” I shouted over the water, then as I raised my arm, the water moved! So that’s what Illysia meant when she said our powers will come in due time.

            “You’re one of the heroes, am I correct?” said the mermaid, I could tell she was a mermaid because she had a concrete figure, not like an Undine which really looked like water but had the form of a human.

            “Uh-huh, how’d you know? What’s your name?”

            “I am Yna and the moment I saw what you did to the water it was obvious you were a hero,” she said smiling at me.

            “I’m Jackie, and you’re a mermaid?” I said looking under the water trying to see her tail.

            “Yeah,” she sat on a rock so I could see her tail clearly.

            “It’s beautiful,” I admired. Her tail was of the brightest blue and the scales were all shiny and smooth.

            “Thank you,” then Jaren came to me, Yna was startled and swam away.

            “Yna! Wait,” I shouted.

            “Who’s Yna?” Jaren asked.

            “Oh, she’s my friend, she’s a mermaid,”

            “Are you alright now?” he asked with a concerned look in his eyes.

            “Yeah, I feel a lot better, I dunno where I’d be without you,”  

            “Nothing to it, look, I’ll be just there in the camp if you need me,” he said and went back

            “You like him so much, don’t you?” Yna said.

            “How’d you know?”

            “Everything is reflected in the water,” she said and started singing, and then she added, “I saw his heart,”

            “What’d you see?” I asked excitedly.

            “All I can say is that you are a lucky girl,” and we started giggling.

            “See you later, Jackie! I am needed elsewhere,” she said and swam away.

            I went back to camp and they were getting ready for dinner.

            “Where’ve you been?” Viola asked sternly.

            “Just wandering around,” I said hungrily.

            “Viola, Heather, can you come with me please. I’ve got something to tell you,” I said to them pointing to the small space behind the large oaks. Once we were alone, I told them everything that had happened, and their eyes widened with surprise.

            “Really! OMG! That is so romantic!” they said cheerfully.

            “You think so?” I asked them modestly.

            “Just be extra careful!” Viola advised.