An Explanation

I woke up on the couch and Scott sat in front of me with a glass of water.

"You fainted," he says. "Drink some water."

I take the glass gently. Scott kisses my forehead as I bring the glass to my lips.

"I had the weirdest dream."

Scott shakes his head. "No, you didn't. You weren't dreaming."

Aunt Kate appeared over his shoulder. "I guess I should explain."

She looks at Scott and he stands slowly. "I'll be upstairs, I guess. Call me if you need me."

I grab his hand. "I need you."

Aunt Kate then says "This is kind of a private discussion. Its a long story."

"He's a patient guy and I need him."

Scott moves to lay behind me and wraps his arms around me loosely. I leaned further into Scott's arms but couldn't keep my eyes off Kate.

"If you're ready, I'd like to explain everything."

"I sat with you in the hospital room and watched the monitors flatline. We spread your ashes over the roots of your favorite tree. Why didn't you come see us if you were ok? Why let us believe you had died."

Kate shakes her head. "I've been in Alaska for the past year. I didn't know about my presumed death until a few days ago. I decided to take an assignment to photograph polar bears and help direct a documentary about them. I had to leave that night and I was in such a rush that I must have left my car unlocked with the keys still in them. I hadn't noticed that I had left my phone until I was already on the plane." Kate sits down across from me. "Allison, I'm so happy you're alive. If I had known about any of this, I would've left my assignment and raced back to you."

I wanted to speak but I just couldn't form the words. Scott's arms tightened around me and I was able to breathe again.

Kate sighs. "I understand this is a lot to take in. I'm staying at the hotel in the center of town." She writes down a number on a piece of paper and hands it to me. "That's my new number. Call me whenever and I will meet you wherever you want. I'm so sorry about everything Allison."

Kate leaves and Scott walks her out. He came back and sits across from me.

"Allison," Scott says. "Can I get you anything?"

I shake my head. "No. I'm fine. It's just a lot to take in."

"Do you want me to leave you alone for a little bit?"

"No. Can you...never mind."

Scott shakes his head. "No, tell me."

"Can you hold me?"

"Of course."

He starts to move closer to me but I press my hand into his shoulder and press him back into the other side of the couch. He was still sitting up and I climbed into his lap. I wrapped my arms around his neck and rested my head on his shoulder. He placed a gentle kiss to the top of my head before letting himself relax into the back of the couch. We stayed sitting and I kept my hands busy by playing with the hairs at the nape of his neck.

"Is this good," Scott asked in a voice no louder than a whisper.

I nod. "Thank you. You're always here for me."

Scott meets my eyes. "I'll always be here for you."

"If I decide to meet her, will you come with me? I don't think I'd be able to do it without you."

"Of course. Allison, whatever you need, I'll do it. Tell me when and I'll make sure I'm free."

/

I called Aunt Kate and set up a lunch for tomorrow. She happily accepted and my hands were shaking as I asked. Scott's encouraging smile and his arms around me were the only thing that made it possible.

"Thank you. I don't think I'd be able to talk to her without you. It's just, I can't believe this."

Scott nods. "I get it. I do. I just, I don't want you to pass up on this amazing opportunity."

"What do you mean?"

"Allison, someone you thought you'd never see or speak to again is here. You thought she was dead but she's not. You have a second chance. Everything you regretted not telling her when you thought she was dead, you can tell her that now. You're so lucky for this. Don't let your fear hold you back."

"I'm sorry. I didn't realize how this would make you feel. Scott, I wish I could bring your mom back. I know you miss her and I'm so sorry. It was my fault. You should hate me."

Scott shakes his head and cups my face. "Allison, you didn't do anything wrong. That woman ran a red light. It's her fault. You did nothing wrong. I miss my mom so much and I'm sad that she's gone but she's alive in my heart. I'd be even more crushed if I had lost you too. I love you."

I kiss him. "I'm yours. I'm going to be with you for as long as you possibly want me to be. I'm not going anywhere."

Scott nods. "Good, because I don't want you to." He lays down so that I was entirely on top of him. "I never want you to."

/

Lunch with Kate went well. It took time but towards the end we had started talking like we used to. Scott was right, which doesn't surprise me. Three days later, Kate was over for dinner while Scott was with Stiles.

"It's nice to be back with you guys. I promise I won't leave again. Instead of traveling for my pictures, I'll have a team that travel and send the photos back so I can make brochures and whatever else my company needs."

Dad smiles. "I'm so thankful that you're ok. I've never missed you so much."

Kate laughs. "Oh big brother, did you really think I'd die without causing you to grow an entire head full of grey hairs." Everyone laughs. "In all seriousness, I don't think I could of found my passion for photography if you hadn't of dragged me on all those early morning runs."

Victoria then says "It kept you both is great shape. Allison even joined when she went into eighth grade."

"Maybe we could all go jogging again. It would be a nice family day."

Kate nods. "I'd really like it. What do you say Alli?"

"I say we should totally do it. Can I invite Scott?"

Kate smiles. "Is that the boy that joined us for lunch? I liked him a lot. He seems perfect but what happened between you and Cole?" I went to answer but she holds up her hand. "Actually, I don't really care. I didn't really like him. He put his own feelings above others and that is not how a healthy relationship works. Does Scott take into consideration your feelings?"

"He does," my dad says. "He loves her very much. He did everything he could to bring her out of her shell when she was depressed and he just glows when she's around. Allison glows just at the mention of him. I was worried that he'd hurt her, but I see it in his eyes that he loves her and would do anything for her. And that is all a father could want for their baby girl."

Kate squeals and says "Then he is more than welcomed to join us."

________________________________________________________________________

Sorry for not updating. School has been somewhat hectic. Hope you all enjoy.