Childhood

{She had been forced into prudence in her youth. She learned romance as she grew older: the natural sequel of an unnatural beginning. ~ Jane Austen}

I remember the moment, clear as day. I was sitting in the parlor, pretending to chat about good manners and behavior with my sister, Rosemary. We sipped our herbal tea and giggled respectably from time to time, as to trick our parents into thinking we were talking about sensible topics. In reality, we were simply recalling humorous events from our childhood and trying not to make our hysterical laughter too obvious.

"And remember that day in London? Where I completely tricked Sorrel into believing you were running away to join the circus? That was possibly the funniest day of my life!"

Rosemary and I struggled to keep straight faces as we remembered the priceless look on our worrisome cousin's face when she heard Rosemary's false news. We went on like this for quite some time, chatting about the events that had occurred for the 16 years Rosemary and I had been sisters. The memories were like presents, tied in multicolored bows that we could open from time to time and cherish before packing them away once more. The truth is, while my younger sister and I were described as inseparable by our mother, we had grown drastically apart since we were children. I guess you could say that our days of climbing the tallest trees in the garden and sneaking around Longford Abbey were over.

You see, Rosemary and I used to be so similar. Everything from our hair to our humor seemed to be in line with one another. However, about a year ago our mother declared that we were officially ladies, and should not partake in such activities as "fooling around and pranking others." My mother, being a serious and proper woman, taught us good manners and behavior, and how disciplined young individuals should behave. We were taught to sit up straight, never talk unless spoken to, and ultimately, how society wanted us to be. I, not wanting to disrespect my mother's wishes, obeyed her to the fullest extent. I studied cooking, cleaning, and the unspoken rules that a woman must follow in 1816. Rosemary was most definitely not as obedient. She detested the way women were being treated, and thought that she had more purpose in life. She claimed she had great worth, and she would not sit in polite torture for the rest of her life. Due to our evident indifferences, Rosemary and I rarely spoke, as you could find me in the library studying, while you could find her out in town, dancing and laughing with strangers. I suppose this is what draws me to this moment in my life; one of the first moments in a long time where my younger sister and I, childhood partners in crime, were actually having a genuine conversation.

"Oh, dearest Sage, how I have missed you. I forgot how life felt like with my older sister by my side. I cannot believe you are 18 tomorrow, and I am 17 in a mere month! Where has the time gone?"

"I know! Before you know it, we will both be married with tiny children running around, just like us years ago. Now, while we have our parents fooled into thinking we are reflecting on our studies, what is on your mind? I can tell by your expression you have something to hide."

Rosemary's face turned a light shade of pink, and she turned away quickly to cover her glowing grin. "Actually, there is something of importance I have been meaning to tell you. But I must do so out of the reach of our parents, for it is of grace secrecy."

A part of me wanted to laugh at this statement. What could my little sister have to hide? Surely, the matter cannot be so severe that we must meet in secret just to discuss it. I saw how serious Rosemary was acting, however, which worried me and intrigued me at once.

"Rosemary, are you feeling alright?" I asked with a tone of concern.

"I do not know what I am feeling at the moment, Sage. Truly, does anyone? Never mind that, you must meet me immediately after Sunday service tomorrow morning. Do you understand?"

"I do," I replied, changing my expression to false interest as my mother approached the two of us.

"And that is why modesty should be crucial to any woman of honor and respect. Why hello, Mother! Would you like some tea?"

Sharing knowing glances, Sage and I engaged in dreadful conversation with our mother, both praying that we could escape the tedious nonsense of small talk.

Hello! Thank you so much for taking the time to read the introduction of my short story. I haven't written in a while, and I am planning on making updates weekly, or whenever time allows me to. If you liked this chapter, don't forget to vote, comment, and share. I hope you have a wonderful night/day!
~Emma