Being Engaged - Chapter 7

Chapter 7

I start to pull myself up onto the beach which is a hard task when you have got a tail. I look up to see Jack. He pulls me into his arms and sets me down on the beach. I look out to see the ship sailing off. Barbossa obviously doesn’t care about me or he wouldn’t have left me here, all the good things that my mother had said in that letter had been wrong. He is a good for nothing pirate. My legs had returned so I stood up and walked to stand next to Jack.

“That’s the second time I’ve had to watch that man sail away with my ship” Jack tells me softly. I take his hand in mine and give it a reassuring squeeze.

But you were marooned on this island before, weren’t you? So we can escape in the same way you did then” Elizabeth asks Jack while we start to follow him into the trees. He turns behind him and starts to knock on the trees.

To what point and purpose, young missy? The Black Pearl is gone and unless you have a rudder and a lot of sails hidden in that bodice ? unlikely - young Mr. Turner will be dead long before you can reach him” Jack tells her, obviously still angry at being stranded here again.

But you’re Captain Jack Sparrow. You vanished from under the eyes of seven agents of the East India Company. You sacked Nassau Port without even firing a shot. Are you the pirate I’ve read about or not? How did you escape last time?” Elizabeth tells him while trying to raise his spirit. I just keep quiet; being in this heat with the sun glaring down on you isn’t the most comfortable of experiences.

“Last time, I was here a grand total of three days, all right? Last time the rumrunners used this island as a cache. Came by, and I was able to barter a passage off. From the looks of things, they’ve long been out of business. Probably, have your bloody friend Beckett to thank for that” Jack said while opening a hidden door in the ground. Hearing Beckett’s name shakes me out off the trance.

“Don’t you dare mention his name Jack Sparrow! He is a weasel of a man with not a drop of goodness in him” I tell Jack while glaring. He holds his hands up in mock surrender and Elizabeth comes to wrap her arm around me. Only she knows what he did to me and how badly I was affected by it.

So that’s it then? That’s the secret grand adventure of the infamous Jack Sparrow? You spent three days lying on a beach, drinking rum?!” Elizabeth shouted. I quite liked the idea of lying in the sun drinking rum.

Welcome to the Caribbean, love” He tells her while handing each of us a bottle of rum and walking off into the direction of the beach. I grab another and start to drink the first. By the time we had reached the beach I was half way through the first bottle.

“I’d watch lovey, that’s a mighty strong drink” Jack tells me while taking a swig of his own.

“We’re devils and black sheep and really bad eggs. Drink up me 'Earties Yo ho! Yo ho, Yo ho a pirate's life for me” Jack and Elizabeth sang, really badly, around the fire while I lay flat out on the beach trying to figure out if I was moving or if the earth was. I probably should have paid attention to Jacks warning about the rum