The Amity Rebel

Chapter 6

I am awaken the next morning by the sounds of little hands and feet crawling along the floor. I pretend to still be asleep so that they can "surprise" me.
"Surprise!" says one of my sisters jumping up and the end of my bed. I hear tons of little voices saying "shhhh no not yet!"
I pretend to still be asleep.
"Surprise! Says all of my sisters jumping up beside my bed holding a plate with eggs and berries on it. I open my eyes and roll over so that I'm facing them. I see all of their little faces and it almost brings me to tears that I'll have to leave every single one of them today. "Thank you," I say holding back tears as I grab the plate. They all jump on my bed with me and I give them each a berry while I eat my eggs.
After I finish one of them takes the plate and they leave to let me change.
When they leave I get out my orange skirt and red and yellow striped shirt with my brown sandals. I put my hair in a braid and go to the living room. My mother is standing there with our kitten, or more like stray we found on the road.
"Are you ready for today?"
"No....I have to leave my family, I have to leave you."
"We'll be fine the girls are growing up and will start to help out."
"I don't want to take their childhood from them because I'm thinking of myself...."
"Don't think that."
"Why shouldn't I?"
"Don't."
My mother grabs me in a hug and locks eyes with me.
"You're so grown up," she says while her eyes start to tear up.
"Please don't cry, then I'll cry," I say tearing up and laughing.
"Are you ready to go?" My dad says coming into the room.
He stops as he sees me and my mom standing next to each other.
"You look just like your mother Cassy," he says.
"That's the nicest thing you could ever say to me," I say crying but smiling. I wipe my eyes. And all my sisters come in.
"Cassy, we know you're leaving. I was standing by the door, I heard everything." Says the 10 year old Bailey.
All of the little ones start crying and the older ones have sad faces.
"But guys don't worry, I'll see you again. This isn't good bye, just see you later," I say hugging each of them.
My mom opens the door and I get into the car I see all of my neighbors who are also 16 getting into their cars. Little did I know that was the last time I would see my little sisters.