The Amity Rebel

Chapter 8

I see my parents faces as a person guides me to me seat along with the screaming voices of the dauntless members screaming and ringing in my ears. Those words I said, what have I done, they seem to somehow shout even louder than the voices of the others.

I'm in dauntless, I AM dauntless. I wish so desperately that I could run to my mother and hug her and cry into her shirt and sit in my dad's lap and hear his deep laugh once more. But I'm not 5 any more, I'm 16. 11 years to late.

People are surrounding me and shaking my hand and introducing themselves.

I look past the crowd of people and see a boy sitting to the side, what makes him really stick out is his blonde hair, it looks like a bright star atop a thin, tall body.

After everyone sits down I slowly make my way up to the corner where he is sitting.

"Hi, I'm Cassy," I say sitting beside him.

"Aren't you Tyler? The boy who went up before me?" I said trying to get him to have eye contact with me.

He just nods and doesn't look at me.

Desperate to make conversation I spoke up, "so, how did you so bravely choose dauntless?"

"Look, I don't know who you are or where you came from, all I know is that you're an annoying person who transferred from and to the same factions as me. So if you don't mind I'd like to just be alone for a while."

That was my que to shut up.

I looked away and nodded. I was very hurt. Was I really annoying? I just wanted to get to know him, he seemed like a cool guy, and maybe, maybe, he was a little cute too. But that didn't matter.

I returned my attention to the ceremony.

After several more hours of people coming up and choosing factions, it was finally over. People flooded out of the large building. The dauntless ran around a corner and started climbing metal polls. I'm still wearing a dress, I can't climb. I think to myself. I put my foot onto an indent in the metal and start climbing.

"Speed it up smiley face," I hear someone shout from below me. I ignore the rude comment and keep climbing at the same pace. Once I finally reach the top someone grabs my hand and pulls me onto the thin wall.

"It should be coming any minute now tell the others to speed it up!" Yells a man from on top of the wall. What is coming? I don't understand. My question was answered with the sound of a train approaches the wall we are all standing on.

They all start running forward like a wave off water. Confused, I start running as well. The train passes by my face and the doors slowly open.

I can see people in front of me jumping onto the train. Someone in front of me grabs the door handle and pulls me up into the train. I look into their face as the place me on the floor of the train.

"Oh, no problem. You're welcome," Tyler says in a sarcastic tone.

"Why did you....?" I start to say but then have to stop as I catch my breath.

"Because you would still be on that wall if I didn't."

He walks into the back of the train.

I will learn more about him someday.

After about 30 minutes we approach a huge brick building. I can see little birds flying on top of the building, but as we get closer I realize that they're not birds, they're dauntless members, and they're not flying, they're jumping.

As we get closer to the building I start to shake. I am not, will not jump off a building. I turn to the closest person, "what happens if we don't jump?"

"You become faction less."

I turn back around and prepare to jump off of the fast moving train.

We finally are feet from the building and I have to jump. I clear my mind of everything, my family, my future, everything. Then I jump.

It was the weirdest feeling ever, like I was flying....until my face hit the floor.

I stand up and rub the side of my face, it left a fairly big gash. I see tons of people surrounding a big hole in the roof of the building. I slowly walk over to all of them and see that they are asking for volunteers to jump into the hole and telling us that everyone will have to go at some point.

Man, these people really like jumping.