Chapter 9

Jane's p.o.v

I could not believe what James had just told me. I have no idea how to react to this.

"I'm not a vampire?" I asked barely audible and he nodded. I took a minute to understand and digest the fact that i'm still mortal. "I'M NOT A VAMPIRE!" I stood up from my sitting position and balled my eyes at him, I clenched my fists and I was boiling with fury.

"Calm down Jane." My brother warned me.

"CALM DOWN?" My voice was high pitched. I stared at him waiting for him to reply but he looked like he was looking to use the right words. "So all this time..." James held my shoulder and I sat down. All this time my power wasn't developed because I wasn't even a vampire.

"But how come I can run like the others, see, smell and touch like them?" I asked.

"It is complicated." Was all he said.

"So i'm not one of you anymore." I stated.

"No, no Jane please don't say that." He held my shoulders tight.

"But i'm only human, I am nothing compared to you. Do the other's know about this?" I asked weary.

He nodded. He lifted my chin with his finger. "Hey," He got my attention. "No matter what you are, we are still your family. It doesn't matter if you are a vamp or not. You were, are and always will be a Romero. And you should be proud of it." His eyes shimmered and turned into a soft caramel.

I let out a sigh in defeat and looked away. "I know, but..." I paused looking at James, wondering about how this is even possible. "I just want to know how this happened? Like, it doesn't make any sense, if i'm a human why are my senses enhanced like a vampires'?" I looked at him waiting for a response. He shuffled a little on my bed to sit comfortably.

"Okay, so there is a story behind this." He began.

"I am listening." I assured.

"When Dale changed you, at the age of 18, the healer said that you still had not converted into a vampire. When you were 11, and I made the foolish mistake of trying to change you, something wrong had happened. The healer said it was a chemical malfunction, something like that. But the main point he said was that Dale's venom, surprisingly, would not settle in you. It was like your body forbid it to happen. Now the reason why you have enhanced senses is because some of the venom did affect you. So think of it like a steroid." My brother explained.

"So I am half human and half vampire?" I asked.

"Yes, in some sense, you are half and half." He nodded. I slouched on my bed.

"So how long will it take me to heal?" I asked.

"Well, I am not sure exactly what happened to you in the woods. By the way are you okay? I mean what happened?" he asked. I didn't know how to tell him about the Donovan and I wouldn't feel comfortable either.

"I fainted." I said in a simple reply.

"Why?" He interrogated further.

I shrugged my shoulders and he squinted his eyes knowing that I was lying.

"Could you send in Lisa?" I asked politely. After a minute he smiled, kissed my forehead, "i'll get her for you." He walked out of the room and within a second Lisa was at my door.

"Hey sweety," She made her way around my bed and sat down where James did. "Are you feeling any better?" She tilted her head a little.

"Well, the pain is gone." I said. She nodded.

"I heard that James told you," She said not finishing her sentence.

"Yah." There was silence. My eyes roamed around the familiar surroundings of my room.