Chapter 7: Bright Side

The atmosphere suddenly became quiet

The atmosphere suddenly became quiet. Jacob had too much to digest, he was too tired. Every family has their own problems, in different stages, some faces harder problems, but in the end, it just depends on their courage.

Jacob's eyes became heavy, he couldn't help, the quiet atmosphere and the sleepy mood made him sleep. He slept with the lights on, with a messy room. Just before you know it, he's already snoring loud.

Suddenly when midnight just passed, his parents hit his desk so hard, it was his dad.

"Wake up, come on!" His mom shouted.

Jacob woke up, very sleepy, he rubbed his eyes and wasn't really aware of the current situation.

"Look at your room!" His dad shouted, "are you an animal?"

"You know my standards, you better fulfill them or else tomorrow you won't go to school."

"You'll be studying with us, all day!" Dad added.

Jacob became slightly aware, he noticed he was too sleepy, and just slept, ignoring all the things that didn't reach 'mom's high standards'. He can't spend a day studying with mom and dad, he just can't. There'll just be quizzes and tests, which if he didn't get a satisfying score, he'll be dead, for sure. He can't let his self stay at home, no way. Now he's just blathering in his head.

"How 'bout work." Whimpered Jacob.

"Don't try to change the topic!" Ordered dad.

"And besides, we could always find a way, right hun?" Babbled mom.

"Yes of course," dad replied, "now what will you choose: clean this hideous room which looks like the towns well house, or face the consequences?" He asked, making an annoying face expression.

"Ugh, fine, I'll clean up my room." He rasped.

"Which looks?" His mom said, hoping for a reply from Jacob.

"Hideous." Murmured Jacob.

"Only that?" Dad cackled.

"Do I even have to say this?" Jacob replied, annoyed.

"SAY IT!" Demanded dad.

"Like the town's well house, happy?"

"That's my boy!" Dad said, while rubbing Jacobs head.

In his mind he was thinking, his parents sometimes aren't that worse, well sometimes they can hurt Jacob physically, but look at the bright side, it'll make you better, rather looking at the bad times and makes you feel hatred.

His parents left his bedroom, they closed the door. Jacob started to clean up his room, he grabbed the clothes left on the floors he was about to return them to the closet when he saw old pictures hanging on his wall. He saw pictures of his parents which he scratched everytime he had just been scolded. He'd scratch their faces with a pen.

"I guess, you're not that bad, well maybe." He whispered, while making a smile.

He finished cleaning up, he took a really deap breath. He went back to bed, thinking a pile of thoughts, in mood, he just wanted to write poems, but he knew if his parents found out, their devil horns will reappear. They'll kill him gradually.

His eyes gently closed. The bell suddenly rang, he swore that he'd just closed his eyes for not even half a second.

He got ready for school, it was the second last day of school, and technically the last day for studying, tomorrow's the class party or more recognized as 'the early christmas party' by most students, a time where they all say happy christmas, see you next year and sometimes cry.

He went to the bus station, saw nothing interesting at the newspaper, he hopped on the bus. He sat besides Sophia.

"Well hi Soph!" Greeted Jacob.

"Oh, hi." She replied, taking a really deap breath.

"I was wandering...." Jacob discontinued talking when he realized that it wasn't the right time to talk about last night.

"Wandering about what?" Sophia said, as if she hadn't get a single clue.

"Wandering..." he said, finding the right replacement, "wandering about, um, about when should we continue the, the project." It suddenly popped out of his mind.

The bus suddenly stopped, all the students got ready to exit the smelly bus, including Sophia.

"Look, Jacob we'll talk about this later, I promise, she said in a rather 'in a hurry' way.

The go home bell rang, Jacob rushed looking for Sophia.

"Hey Sophia!" He said while controlling his breath.

"Yea?" She asked as if she had forgotten everything about this morning.

"Project?" He asked, hoping Sophia would remember.

"Which project?" Sophia asked in confusion.

"The World war project?" Jacob replied.

"Oh yeah!" Sophia suddenly remembered, "what about it?"

"When should we do it?" Jacob asked.

"Oh, tommorow after the party sounds okay to me, you?" She said.

"Yeah, sounds okay." Jacob said.