Chapter 1: The Replacement Shift

Jordan—San Antonio Memorial Hospital, San Antonio, TX

The doctors, all crammed in the break room, are buzzing with excitement. Not sure if it's because Scott and I are leaving, or because some new doctor is coming.

I got the news three days ago, that a switch was happening and that Chicago Med had slots. I was happy. I sort of just wanted to start over. But I was sad, too. I was leaving behind San Antonio. The surrogate family I'd always leaned on.

It was Scott's idea to move. I wondered why he wanted to move. His life here was successful, not fruitless. He was the manager, for God's sake. I went along with it regardless. It would help me begin fresh. Me and my best friend. But no Shannon. No TC. No anyone else.

We decided to leave once the new doctor got here. I didn't want to leave Memorial with an unfilled gap. I don't care how many bad memories are here.

Ever since TC got back, even he's been different. I don't know why, but I ignore him now. The last time we talked, for real, was when he first arrived from Aleppo. He could never quite understand me, and I could never understand him. The accident and Syria changed him. He doesn't yell. Doesn't take his anger out. It's like he's the same resident I first met, all that time ago, all over again.

"Hey, Jordan." Kenny bustles over to me, all grins and pranks. He hasn't changed even after getting married to Bella Cummings, after becoming the hospital manager. He still works in nursing; that's how much we mean to him. Though he's always gonna be preposterous through and through. "We're betting on whether it's a doctor or a surgeon."

"Like someone's unborn baby. Boy or girl?" I roll my eyes, but my own reference hits me hard. "As if you can predict a baby's gender when you don't have any information. You don't even know this person."

"We do. We've been paying attention to this kind of stuff." Kenny gets the know-it-all gleam in his eyes. "A Dr. Grace Kaur Patel character, according to Bella. From Chicago. TC says he knew her from med school. Forty bucks that he's lying."

I laugh. The smile doesn't reach my eyes. "You say he had a girlfriend in med school."

"Don't get so defensive, Jordan," Kenny jokes. "Yes, a girlfriend. A friend who was a girl."

Why do I feel relieved? I'm leaving. I'm going to have a new family. A family called Gaffney Chicago Medical Center.

Not San Antonio Memorial Hospital.

"Here's a hint, Kenny," I whisper. "Want to win the bet? Look this Grace up on Facebook or Instagram or Twitter or whatever. Get all her profile info. Education, job, etcetera. You'll sweep the money like a power mop."

Kenny sucks in a breath. "The hidden genius of Jordan Alexander — "

"Don't get so sassy on me. Start looking." I smile again, this time for real.

I watch as Kenny taps at his phone and TC, a fresh, happy, new TC, makes bets with all-knowing Shannon. He'll lose for sure. Shannon has a surprising amount of wit, instinct, wisdom, and street smarts, though she's just a resident.

Paul is trying to scam his way out of the betting. Shannon, his girlfriend, convinces him, and he warily declares, "Twenty bucks that she did residency in California."

"She did, Paul! I'm telling you the truth! I know Grace like no other girl in my life! Not even my mom!" TC implores.

Everyone bursts into laughter. I chuckle. He knows her better than me.

"So, is she a doctor or a surgeon?" intones Mollie.

"I don't know. Just don't listen to Tee," Drew replies with a grin.

TC is still smiling. "C'mon, Drew, have I ever lied to you about anything?"

Drew purses his lips. "Dude, you may have gotten me into jail right when Bri was in surgery, but you sure don't lie."

TC sighs in relief.

"Well, not often," adds Drew, smirking.

Just then, we hear the sound of a car. The doctors and nurses go dead silent, save for Kenny. "Ten bucks it's a Honda Civic," he mouths.

I snort stealthily as the car sound stops, replaced by the clacks of heels on sidewalk. The automatic doors open.

Kenny pokes his head out and gives a report. "Red dress, low necked, doc's coat, Shannon's height. And hot. Like, damn—"

Bella slaps his shoulder.

Yelling fills the room and money changes hands.

The heels-on-floor clicking grows louder, and the break room door opens. "Why is everyone here?"

"They were betting on you," I explain matter-of-factly.

Grace emerges from behind the door. "Well?" She looks around. "Who said to stop?"

Everyone looks at one another, confused.

"Proceed with the gambling!" she exclaims.

The room explodes with shouts once again. Grace beckons Kenny, the chief nurse of Memorial and the proctor of all betting.

"I'm a doctor, I graduated from Hopkins Med School, and I did residency in the San Fernando Valley of California. I also took a job there to be with my brothers and their families. Then, I got bounced over to Chicago, and now I'm here," she whispers to Kenny. He frantically scribbles on a pad of paper.

"Twenty bucks for Paul from everyone who said she wasn't a California resident!" Kenny announces.

"Ay, dios mio, that's my last twenty," Jocelyn grumbles, tossing her money at Paul.

Poor Paul seems to drown in twenty-dollar bills. He tries to grasp at the stray notes.

"Hi, Grace. I'm Dr. Jordan Alexander. I'll be going to Chicago Med in a few moments." I shake hands with the cheerful Grace.

Scott appears behind me. "I'm Dr. Scott Clements. I will be moving to Chicago Med as well."

"I think you already know this, but I'm Dr. Grace Patel. Thank you for the...grand welcome," she says, laughing.

This one is sure to be a fan favorite at Memorial. I just hope she doesn't become too much.