Chapter 30: The Epilogue Shift

Grace—Nowhere in Particular

One Month Later

Spoiler: we don't get arrested for beating up Cain and his dudes in our hospital. One more spoiler: I stay at SAM because St. Johns is cold and unfamiliar, a place where patient respect is little to none. Anyway, back to legal stuff, before I go off on a rant.

Julian Cummings covers for us, pays for damages, supports our story, and totally saves us all, but then threatens to "fire everyone in this damn institution for pulling something like that again."

Well, well, well.

The court let us off with a warning, taking Cain, whoever he may be, to jail along with his cronies. Our genius knowledge of anatomy saved us; we killed not a single guy, and all was excused by the act of self-defense. Also, I made a few sad faces, shed some crocodile tears, and acted innocent. I would never in real life. Kenny paid me.

And yet, here I am again, back at a place of law, pen poised to sign the most important document I will ever sign.

Above mine, TC's name is resplendent in its glory, scrawled big like it is on all his patient discharge releases and lab confirmations. We agreed to this. To tie the knot in peace and quiet. No pomp, no splendor. Just the two of us, my mother, and a handful of our beloved fellow night shifters.

My hand goes through the motions it does daily for every prescription I approve, every report I write. The big, loopy G, the smaller r-a-c-e, and then the Kaur, and finally, my last name.

I hesitate. What do I write? Then I smile. It's my future on this paper, not my past.

I make a large C. Callahan, the ink writes out.

And as I look down at my new name, my future, ready to seal it with a flourish, my hand gives out, the pen slides away, and spots dance before my eyes. I struggle to stay up. Maybe I'm dying. Am I dying? And as I try not to collapse, all I can think is, Grace, you have one life. Don't jeopardize it.

But in the end, I release my grip on the registrar's desk and slump to the ground.

***************************************

THE END