Chapter 5: The Black Tie Shift

A/N: What you see above is a definite addition if I could create a wardrobe for this fanfic :)

Jordan—National Medical Convention, Chicago, Illinois

Three Days Later

Nearly every doctor at Chicago Med wanted to be here today. However, if that were to happen, the hospital would be undesirably full of subs. So, I volunteered to come for good, along with Natalie. I'm not sure what came over me. Perhaps I need a piece of Memorial back. Perhaps I wanted to see who won. Perhaps I would meet TC, with whom I was unfair. I don't know how he feels, but I know enough to realize that, deep down, I still care.

I wear a gold dress since red will probably be the color of choice tonight. Maybe blue could've worked, but I still opted for the shade I look best in. Natalie is outfitted in a pretty silver gown.

We arrived at the venue a while back, a fancy hall in Chicago. Now we're crammed into the gala itself, a commotion of doctors and surgeons of every single field. It's the red carpet of med, the wonderful jumble of fanciness personified.

I spot a few reps from American hospitals that I recognize who are on the Medicine Board of the United States. They've all come to the afternoon soiree in hopes of snagging the award. Why it's held in the afternoon, I have no idea. Maybe it's because the docs just want a longer lunch break.

The gossip is all about who will win; of course, only the winner knows this. Either way, the news seems to have been kept silent in a careful manner. Speculations are dull and broad.

Among all the fray, Natalie yells something.

"Hey, look! Jordan, come with me." Natalie grabs my hand, that which doesn't hold a clutch, and drags me along. We approach a familiar face.

Grace turns to me, smiling. "Jordan! Nat! It's so great to see you!"

She looks magnificent, with a heavy, elaborate midnight blue sari (*above*) wrapped around her slender form. The tons of gold jewels edging the cloth glitter intensely, along with the matching jewelry. Her golden bangles clink as she beckons us. "Come! Sit here, we have space!"

We follow Grace to a table like the others around the banquet hall. A gold purse lies on the table. I search for any other Memorial doctors.

"Who's your date, Grace?" Natalie asks, with a hint of mischief in her eyes.

"I might've brought my mom, she would've loved this, but"—

Grace shouts something I cannot make out. She disappears for a few moments and returns with said date.

"Natalie Manning, right? And Jordan? Well, I am the Chosen One." TC grins.

Everything freezes. And for a moment, I only see TC and Grace. It takes me some time to realize what this really means, what it all comes down to.

TC has gotten over me. But I haven't gotten over him. I'm not surprised that I probably never will get over him.

We all sit down around the table.

"How are things at Chicago Med?" Grace asks us.

"It's going good," I reply simply.

"We miss you!" Natalie says, smiling. "But Jordan and Scott—wow! They are an amazing team to have at the hospital. Gets work done just like that."

The host for the afternoon steps onto the stage. The audience, including us, slowly goes quiet.

"Welcome, everyone, to the 2017 National Medical Convention!" he declares dramatically. "We have all been brought together by the prestigious Doctor of the Year award, reserved only for the very best in their field and in their attitude. The committee has put together this event just for all the hardworking practitioners gathered here today, so we hope you all enjoy!