Chapter 24: The Fire Away Shift

Kenny—San Antonio Memorial Hospital, San Antonio, TX

When I enter Trauma 4, I don't think I can ever unsee the medical insanity waiting inside.

Drew, TC, and three nurses already wait inside. What's the need for more help? That's what I thought before I saw the patient.

"GSW to the left shoulder," Drew tells me. "And here is the gun."

TC gestures to a handle protruding from the guy's right leg. "The trigger is inside his body, making it possible for the gun to go off at any time. Not to mention it is loaded. We don't have anything on the safety though."

"Three bullets. We had to determine by expanding since CTs are out of the question," Drew explains. "The one that shot him is already out and the wound is cleaned. That should be fine. But this? I don't know if I've seen anything like it. SWAT is on the way."

"Should we call Grace?" I ask carefully.

"Man, I am not letting a single pregnant woman in this room," Tee argues.

"She's the best doctor in San Antonio, Tee. Grace is our best chance," tries Drew.

"If there's anyone we really need right now, it's Grace. I mean, come on. That woman is such a straight shooter she could fire from here and hit someone in Mexico. We can't get this job done without her," Jocelyn adds.

"It's true." I give him a smug expression.

"No. I am not letting my pregnant fiancée in any area with a loaded gun that is inside a patient and could fire at any moment." TC crosses his arms stubbornly.

"Whatever you say." I shrug. "So, what's the plan until SWAT gets here?"

"Pack the wound very carefully," commands Drew. "He'll bleed out if we don't do something."

"Just wait until everyone is in here. Poor Grace will be left out in the lobby doing cold and flu, wondering what happened to us all," Jocelyn scolds TC.

"Don't get too overprotective of her," I advise him. "She doesn't like that. She may be a straight shooter, but she's willing to turn her gun around too."

Someone at the curtain whistles. "Motherf—"

"I'm cutting you off right there, Shannon," TC jokes. "Well, come on in. If we die, we all die together. That weapon is active and could go off at this very time."

Shannon looks terrified. "Why did you call me, then? That's one more corpse!"

"We'll figure this out, it's fine," I assure her.

"Can we...um...call Grace? Please?" Shannon's voice shakes. "She's the baddest ass I know. She can keep us all safe, right? She knows karate. And kalari. And taekwondo."

"True. Have you seen Grace's drill sergeant face?" Drew shakes his head. "Can't forget that if you tried."

"I see it daily," TC grumbles.

As if on cue, Grace thunders through the door, her inner she-lion turned up to full rage. "TEE!"

"Uh-oh." Tee gives us a nervous half smile before going to approach Grace.

"Why is half the staff doing an evasive maneuver removal of loaded gun without me?" she inquires, voice rising.

TC grasps for an excuse. "Because you're pregnant and the gun firing at you would be two fatalities? Plus, you don't want to miss the ultrasound?"

"Fatality my foot. I know how to be careful." Grace narrows her eyes, in "baddest ass" doctor fashion. "Let's blow this shit."