Chapter Five

Chapter Five

“I promise you, you’ll enjoy the date,” I said, smiling and I saw the insecurity in her eyes.

“I hope it goes well. I’ve fancied him ever since the start of uni,” Joana admitted blushing. She kept avoiding my gaze and that suggested she still doesn’t believe me.

“It’ll be fine. You just ask him and I promise you he’ll say yes,” I said and she finally looked at me, her eyes full of hope.

“You think?” she asked, a faint smile present on her lips.

“I know,” I said smiling at her and she finally agreed.

I clapped my hands happily and gave her a hug, giving her reassurance and we bid good-bye. I grabbed my phone and dialled Brent’s number.

“She already agreed. Expect her to ask you by tomorrow,” I said once I heard Brent pick up the phone.

“Really?” I heard him said, surprise present in his tone.

“Yup, she really likes you and she would love to go out. I’ll give you a hint: Amusement park.” I said, sipping my coffee.

“God, you really are cupid,” he said disbelievingly. I smiled to myself proudly.

“‘Course I am. I still can’t believe you won,” I said, sighing deeply.

“It’s because I’m amazing,” Brent said cockily. I rolled my eyes.

The week after the bet, Carlo stepped down from being captain and coach said he’d be observing who had the potential to be the captain. The week after that, I got a call from Brent and he said I should come down to practice that day. I did and coach announced the new team captain. I was listening in the announcement and coach said it was Gale. Gale was dumbfounded and the coach gave him a handshake. After practice, Brent kept boasting about his win and how he was a smart arse. The whole team laughed at him, even Elliot. The day before Brent told the whole team-except for Gale- about the bet and all of the guys placed bets who would win between me and Brent. Half of team said I would win and half on Brent. Elliot placed his bet on Brent and the idiot won. The week after that I called Joana for coffee, we met up today and I worked up my whole convincing speech.

“Thanks again Jensen. I owe you one big,” Brent said, stopping my train of thoughts.

“You don’t need to. You won the bet and I believe it was a good opportunity to finally get you a girlfriend.” I said, teasing him. He had never had a girlfriend since we were in High school because he was a coward at asking girls.

“Even though, thanks a lot. I’ll see you tomorrow at class,” he said and I smile to myself.

“Yeah, see you tomorrow Brent. Good luck,” I said and I hung up my phone.

I sighed to myself and finished my coffee. A good day’s work on being ‘cupid’, I thought to myself. I haven’t done this ever since Elliot and Skylar became a couple. To be honest, I’ve missed it since I get to help a lot of insecure people with their feelings. The funny thing about my situation is I can’t even fix my own feelings. I knew it was a messed up situation, me having feelings for my best friend who had a girlfriend that he obviously loved. I wasn’t intending to interfere with their relationship because it was my fault in the first place for putting them together. I’m trying to move on from this pointless fancy but something won’t let me. I knew I’ve given up but I still feel the pain whenever I see them together. I knew I was going to move on eventually, like Anne had said to me many times. I wasn’t an overly-fantasied uni student who was desperate for her best friend to like her back. I wasn’t the clingy time or the desperate romantic because I was raised to be independent. That’s why I’m not depending on anyone to like me back- especially my best friend- because I know that’s reality and I don’t like living in a fantasy that everything has a happy ending. I knew a sounded more of a pessimist than a realist, but that’s life, it’s not all rainbows and glitter all the time.