The Suprise

“Pass me the popcorn Poopey.” Asked Jesy, stretching her hands as out as far as she could. She couldn’t quite reach the bowl  from her beanbag on the floor.

Jade was on my couch, with Leigh and Perrie, keeping warm under Mum’s fluffy rug. I, being the baby sister and not part of the band, was denied such luxuries.

I was sitting cross-legged on the floor, patiently watching Aladdin for the hundredth time. I wanted to watch Doctor Who but my vote was outnumbered. Again.

In case you were wondering, the band I am talking about is Little Mix. It all started a few years ago, when my big sister Perrie Edwards decided to audition for the X Factor. She made it through, like I knew she would, but didn’t make it past bootcamp. There was a lot of mixing and matching involved, but eventually Perrie was put into a group with 3 other girls, Jade, Leigh Anne and Jesy.

Nobody really thought they would do well, but the girls were magic on stage and they ended up winning. It  was the start of a very successful career. I have always been in the wings, cheering them on. It was awesome when I was 10, but I’m starting to not like it as much as time goes by.

“ I think this year is going to be really good, for us I mean.” Stated Jesy. “DNA was so successful. I hope Salute will be even better.”

The rest of the band nod in agreement. I on the other hand, take this opportunity to grab the popcorn. Mum’s stupid boyfriend Steve doesn’t like us eating junk, so I get it whenever I can.

“Can you believe it’s been four years!” said Perrie. “Feels like yesterday.”

More like a lifetime I think. A lifetime of concerts, a lifetime of paparazzi, a lifetime of travelling around. I’m not even part of the band!

They were all chilling at my house, even though Perrie doesn't live here anymore. She wanted to catch up with both Mum and the girls today so she decided to kill two birds with one stone. I was just tagging along.

The girls then went on and on about what was coming up and I just paid attention to the movie, trying to block out the details of their perfect little lives. In fact, I was so zoned out I nearly didn’t hear Leigh Anne blurt out, “I’m really looking forward to the tour next week.”

“What tour?” I ask, with a little sharpness in my voice.

“The one in America, you doofus.” Teased Jesy in a funny accent. I stared back at them all, confused. I hadn’t heard anything about a tour!

“How long for?” I ask. Even though Perrie recently moved out we try to spend time together, or at least we used to. I hate when Perrie goes on tour. She’s gone for several weeks and I’m left with Mum and Steve.

Perrie avoids eye contact with me, then  casually says “6 months.”

6 months! What was I going to do!