The Top Floor

"It's taking me a trillion years to get upstairs because some asshole is moving in and keeping the elevator occupied. I can't walk up that many flights of stairs in Manolos I'm not fucking Carrie Bradshaw." I was on the phone complaining to Reese about why I was late meeting her for yoga. 

The elevator finally opened and two movers were walking out. "Excuse me, when will you be done moving in?"

"We should be done in an hour." He said, dismissively walking past me.

"Maybe we can catch the 8 o'clock class. I still have to get dressed." I said, walking onto the elevator. A pretty brunette walked in behind me and pressed the button to the top floor. "Alright, I'll call you when I'm on my way over. Bye." I hung up the phone as the elevator climbed and adjusted my Celine sunglasses.

"Sorry about the movers, I know they've been hogging the elevator." I looked over at the woman speaking to me and my heart stopped.

"No worries, I'm just running later than usual today. I know what a hassle it is to move." I said after a short pause. I hope she didn't notice.  I prayed for my floor to come faster.

"Such a pain in the ass." She smiled at me and shook her head. "I don't even know why I agreed to do this."

"Luckily, movers do most of the work. Perks of the 1%?" She looked over at me and I don't think she got the joke. She still smiled at me politely as the elevator reached my floor. "Good luck moving."

"See ya." she smiled brightly at me and waved. I almost vomited. 

My heart was beating a mile a minute. Does this mean what I think this means? I was having a panic attack but I had to meet Reese soon and I didn't have time to contemplate what this could possibly mean. I made myself a smoothie and drank half of it before I put on my yoga clothes and grabbed my mat. I threw my wallet and keys in my Kenzo tote and walked out the door. While I was waiting for the elevator I requested an Uber and sent Reese a text that I was on my way. When I heard the elevator stop I looked up from my phone.

The door opened and looking me directly in the face were a pair of deep blue eyes. We both stood there looking at each other, not moving, until the elevator doors closed again. I stood there another long moment waiting to regain my breath, and then I ran to the other side of the hallway, to the stairs. I flew down them as quickly as possible, hoping not to run into anyone on the way down. When I finally reached the bottom floor, I sprinted across the lobby not looking at anyone and out the door, around the corner. I searched my app to find out where my Uber was, and when I tracked him down I sprinted to that too.

"You waited until AFTER yoga to tell me this???" Reese and I were walking down the street to a local coffee house for some tea.

"Because I was trying not to have a meltdown on my mat."

"So wait wait wait. You got into an elevator with JESSICA BIEL and she attempted to make small talk with you? Do you think she recognized you? Do you think she's ever seen pictures of you?"

"I was wearing my Celine sunglasses so I don't think she really got a good view of my face. I only went blonde 7 years ago." I said, side glancing at her as we entered the coffee house. We ordered our teas and sat down at two chairs in the corner. "She obviously didn't recognize me. Just apologized for hogging the elevator and then I think I kind of left it awkwardly. Hopefully she avoids me from now on."

"Wait, apologized for the movers? You mean she lives in your building now? Does that mean..." We both got quiet. She realized immediately what it meant.

"While I was waiting on the elevator to get downstairs, I saw Justin."

"WHAT?",  she yelped. Everyone in the coffee shop paused and looked over at us for a minute. "What happened? Did you guys speak?" she said, in a much lower voice.

"We just kind of looked at each other until the elevator doors closed again. And then I ran all the way down to the lobby and out the building." I said, sighing.

"What's it been? 8 years?"

"8 years."

"This is wild. What are the odds he would move into the same building as you?"

"A fucking million in one."