The Flight

"He brought you lunch today? That was nice of him." Jeremy and I were having dinner (an amazing angel hair pasta and breaded chicken he made), discussing our day.

"Yeah. He said he wanted to thank me for hanging out with Jessica. Then he left kind of abruptly."

"Are you sure nothing happened between the two of you?" He said, suspiciously. 

"I don't know. You know how famous people are. Justin has been so paranoid about friends and things maybe he just feels like I betrayed him by not being his friend any longer." I said, unflinchingly. 

"It must really be terrible to be that kind of famous."

"It was really hard being his friend." For more reasons than one. "Um, I got a phone call today. From Joanne Heyler."

"The director of The Broad Foundation? You're kidding. What did she say?"

"She offered me a job at The Broad."

"In LA? Babe, that's amazing! I'm so proud of you!" He got up and pulled me out of my chair, lifting me into his arms.. "When do you start? Should I call some movers? Start looking at houses?"

"I haven't decided whether I'm going yet. I know you want to move back to LA but this is a big decision for me. You can make art anywhere, but you know how important this job was to me. It's...The Met."

"Cassy, how many times have you drooled over The Broad Foundations collection? You'll be surrounded by Mark, by Basquiat! Think of the creative possibilities. Think of how this will allow you to flourish. This museum is you."

"I don't know, Jeremy. She wants to fly me out in the next two weeks. I'll go, I'll see it...I'll make a decision."

"Well, I want to come with you but I can't miss this flight to Paris." Jeremy was flying to Paris to show his paintings in a gallery. Well, that was what he told me at least. 

"It's fine...I'll figure it out."

I was laying on the couch with Reese a couple of days later, something I felt like I never got to do anymore. It's different to hang out with your friends once you're both married. I guess in a way your family becomes your life. I'd never really had a family or a significant other that had assumed the position of a family member. Sometimes Jeremy talked about kids, and I guess my biological clock was ticking, but I just wasn't sure I ever wanted to have kids. Jeremy was an only child, like me, except he wanted to have a huge family because of it. He wanted upwards of 4 kids. The thought made me cringe, and I felt like feeling that way was wrong.

"How many kids do you think you and Aidan will have?" I said, thoughtfully. 

"I think we agreed on 2. Whatever we have I'll be happy with though. I just hope I get pregnant soon. How many do you think you and Jeremy will have?"

"I don't know. I don't...really want kids. Whenever he brings it up I feel really uncomfortable and I don't know how to tell him my doubts about it."

"You guys have been together for years..you haven't discussed having kids? I guess maybe I never considered you didn't want any. You seem to avoid the subject now that I'm really thinking about it."

"Now that we're married everyone keeps telling me that's the next logical step. But when I think about it, it gives me so much anxiety."

"I swear I've never met a more indecisive person in my life. When are you leaving?"

"I leave tonight at 8. Arrive sometime around 1am. It's gonna feel so weird to be in my apartment again. The last sublet moved out a few months and I just haven't found someone to take it over yet. Do you think I just sell it?"