Blindsided

I had an incredible meeting. This museum was beautiful. Small, but containing artists I had already dreamed of being in a museum full of. It was also more youthful than most of the museums I'd been to. I was so excited and so nervous. There's no way I could move back to Los Angeles. There's too many memories of Justin here. It seemed as though the same might become of New York very soon. I had just FaceTimed Jeremy in Paris and he told me the choice was mine to make.

Sitting on the couch contemplating all the decisions I was going to have to make, I heard a knock on the door. I glanced at the clock and realized it was already 8:15pm. Shit, Justin. Dinner. I realized I hadn't even changed out of my suit and went to answer the door. Justin was standing there with greasy bags in his hands and a smile on his face.

"I thought you were taking me out and spending some of that MySpace money." I said, smirking at him.

"Ouch. A little early for that joke don't you think? I'm not even sure that I like you that much yet."

"If you didn't you wouldn't have brought me whatever is in that greasy bag."

"Are you gonna let me in or what?"

I let Justin in and closed the door behind him. We walked into the kitchen and he sat the bags down on the counter. The smell was driving me nuts.

"Are you going to eat in that? That's an awfully nice suit."

"Well I assumed we'd be going somewhere nice. Wanted to look good for you."

"Yeah yeah. You wore that to your meeting. You look like you razzle and dazzled."

"That I definitely did."

"We could've gone out, but it's LA and honestly I just don't feel like dealing with Justin seen with new blonde bombshell while Jessica is home in New York reports."

"Blonde bombshell?"

"Don't hype yourself."

"It's really impossible to be a celebrity and have friends. I can't imagine not living a private life. Especially at this age. You're doing pretty well I think. I don't hear much in the way of rumors."

"I'd like to keep it that way."

"Showing up to some random place in Santa Monica regularly probably isn't helping your case."

"It'll be fine."

Justin pulled out some plates and I went into the bedroom to change into something else. I pulled on some fitted black joggers and my favorite white Rag & Bone tee. When I walked back into the living room Justin was sitting on the couch stuffing his face with a pastrami sandwich and watching Arrested Development. I sat down next to him and grabbed my plate.

"I honestly could not be more relieved you brought me this."

"I was thinking about it all day today. Jessica doesn't really enjoy their food. Says it's too greasy."

We sat there for a while stuffing our faces with sandwiches and fries. Laughing at each other and TV. This felt so comfortable being around Justin again and I was almost in disbelief that it was happening. It felt as though he'd never walked out that day. As though we didn't stand in this very living room and I never told him I didn't love him. He never kissed me. We'd never had sex.

Then my stomach dropped. All those things did happen. He kissed me. We had sex. I told him I didn't love him. He told me he was in love with me. He...was in love with me. I started collecting our plates and went into the kitchen to clean them. I needed time to collect myself. Soon thereafter Justin joined me and I felt a little annoyed. He started jingling in the cabinets behind me and I wondered what he was doing before he walked back into the living room. I turned off the sink and walked back into the living room to Justin with two glasses of bourbon and a bottle. Something told me not to drink with Justin. I did it anyway. I really needed something to calm my nerves.