two

⚠️contains language that may offend you, and it pains me to use it, but it's for the story. i would never say this word, i promise⚠️

"Dan, we have to get you out of that house! She's hitting you, that's abuse and that's illegal!" I pleaded. Dan seemed to not even care one bit.

"Phil, please. I've been dealing with this as far back as I can remember. It's no big deal. Lets get going to school. Please." Dan sighed, and urged me to start up the car.

"Dan, I won't let this slide! It's serious business." I tried to convince him, but he just didn't budge.

"Stop trying, Phil. I don't even know you! Lets go." Dan scoffed. I started the car and pulled out of his driveway, and just kept the abuse in the back of my mind.

"I'm not letting it go, but for now, I'll drop it." I sighed. Dan just rolled his eyes with a nod, and leaned back in his seat.

I drove us all the way to school, and parked in my parking spot. We both unbuckled in unison when the car completely stopped, and Dan opened the door and slung his bag over his shoulder.

"Do you know where your going, like to all your classes and stuff?" I asked as I slammed my door shut.

"Yeah, and I'm supposed to have someone guide me, or some shit like that." Dan replied, not even turning to face Phil.

"Okay, well then you just go in these doors right here, and first class starts in about 15 minutes. Make sure you get there on time, because the teachers here are pretty strict about that. I think they might cut you some slack because you're new and all." I added, and I waved goodbye to Dan as I walked in the doors and took a left towards my first class. Dan followed behind me, but he turned right instead.

After my first 3 classes, I had lunch. I wanted to find Dan and make sure that he was making his way around okay. Being in a new school can be hard, I bet. I've never had to go through that, thankfully.

I paced down the hall with all my stuff clutched tightly against my chest, dodging all the youngsters. They keep on getting smaller and smaller every single year...anyways.

The lunch room was very large, enough for each grade level to fit in. I spotted the table where I normally sat, and I normally sat with my closest friend, Michal. He and I got along pretty well, but sometimes he did go and sit with his main group of friends which never really bothered me. I liked sitting alone. I could plug in my headphones, play my music and tune out the world. I sat down in my seat, and placed down all my books next to me. I looked in the crowd that was rushing in for Dan, but I couldn't see him. Weird.

About 10 minutes passed, and there was still no sign of Dan. Unless he was sitting with someone else, I had no idea where he was. I scanned the lunch room for him at least a dozen times, but he was nowhere to be seen. That was it. I had to go look for him. I stood up vigorously, and left my stuff behind as I stormed out of the lunch room. The teachers that normally stop kids when they leave didn't even bother to stop me, because the look on my face told them all they needed to know.

Why was I even so concerned about Dan? We only just met.

I paced down all the hallways, speaking his name, not yelling it. I peered in every single classroom, checked the library, checked the gym, and I checked the whole second floor too. The only place left to look was the bathrooms. I barged into the bathroom closest to me, and to my great surprise, I saw Dan. A rush of relief fell over me.

But it didn't stay for long. There was another boy here; a muscular, tall and mean-looking boy. He had Dan in a chokehold against the wall, and he was held up about a foot off the floor.

"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING? LEAVE HIM ALONE!" I screamed, charging towards him.

"Ph—Phil, jus—just sav—save yo—yours—yourself." Dan tried to speak, but his breath was being stolen.

"Go away, you fag!" The other boy said.

"Hey, shut i—it!" Dan wheezed.

"Save your breath Dan. Who the hell do you think you are? What did he do to you, bitch?" I said firmly. I was acting so different, so much more angry.

The boy dropped Dan out of his hand, and Dan collapsed on the ground, catching his breath.

"Next time, its you." He pointed right at me, and ran out of the bathroom.

I ran up to Dan and placed my hand on his back. "Dan, oh my god, are you okay?" I asked with full concern.

"I'll be fine. Thank god you found me. I would probably be dead if it weren't for you. Thanks." Dans cheeks turned a bright pink.

"You're welcome."