Chapter 8

January 5, 1927

January 5, 1927

Elizabeth Connolly and Helen Pevensie had been best friends since they collided in the narrow isles of the grocery store 20 something years ago. Their lives revolved around the other's future plans. They had everything lined up perfectly. Move into neighboring houses, get married within a few months of each other, and have children on the same day. So far they had managed to accomplish 2/3 of their master plan. But Helen moved ahead in the children department. Before long she had popped out two beautiful children before Elizabeth had even managed to conceive. No matter how many times Elizabeth and her husband tried, every attempt resulted in the same phrase being uttered from the doctor's mouth. Soon, Helen and Elizabeth began to give up on their dream.

Ashlynn Connolly was a miracle. After the initial jubilation over her conception, Elizabeth was forced into bed rest. Neither her nor Paul wanted to do anything to harm their unborn baby, and while the doctor told them her isolation was not necessary until the third trimester, one could never be too cautious. Helen did her best to visit her dear friend, but it was difficult with two toddlers to juggle. 

              "Have you thought of any names?" Helen asked as she sank into the mattress next to Elizabeth. 

              "A few. Paul wants to name them after his grandfather if it is a boy." 

Helen scrunched her face. "Milton? You're not actually considering it, are you?" 

              "Heaven's no," Elizabeth giggled. "I just like to humor him. I don't have the heart to tell him it's a girl." 

             "How do you know it's a girl?" Helen seemed surprised by Elizabeth's conviction. 

             "I just do." 

  Helen nodded, knowing better than to argue with the mother. "Well what do you think?" 

             "I'm not quite sure. Names were never my forte." Elizabeth caressed her growing belly as if to try and sense the name her baby wished to have. 

             "Well it must contain Helen. Seems only fair after I named Susan after you." 

             "Well of course. Though I must tell you my mother is also demanding I use her name as well." 

             "She's going to have a mouthful of a name then." Helen smiled. 

Elizabeth hummed contently. "She will indeed." 

Silence befell them. Both women sat, knee to knee, their hands cupping their stomachs protectively. 

             "Let's hope this one is a boy then, so the two can finally make us sisters." Helen announced.