Chapter 10

If Edmund knew Ashlynn had followed him into the castle, he didn't show it

If Edmund knew Ashlynn had followed him into the castle, he didn't show it. Ashlynn couldn't blame him. She too was entranced by the haunting beauty of the courtyard they stood in. Ashlynn was surrounded by hundreds of statues of creatures she had never seen before. Each and every one had a terrified look stamped on their face giving Ashlynn an uneasy feeling. Who was the White Whitch to have the power to turn things to stone by will. Ashlynn drank in every ounce of the room, not believing her eyes. She didn't notice as Edmund picked up a burned piece of wood and drew a mustache and glasses on a statue of a lioness. She was too busy staring at a centaur to her right. Unlike the other statues in the room, this one showed no sign of fear. His stolid face stared into Ashlynn's soul, almost as if he was daring her to come closer. Somehow, Ashlynn could detect a hint of hope in his eyes, giving the impression that the centaur knew something she did not. She admired his bravery and defiance, wishing that she had the courage to stand up like he did. 

Ashlynn was broken out of her thoughts by a loud clamor coming from Edmund. She looked over to see him pinned to the ground by a gigantic wolf. Ashlynn gasped and quickly searched for something to defend herself and Ed with. She spotted a large piece of wood by her feet and picked it up, her arm being weighed down by the sudden increase of mass. She crept over to the pair, raising the stick high above her head. The wolf was just about to leap off of Edmund when Ashlynn swung will all of her might, a resonating thud signaling a clean hit to his side. The wolf whimpered slightly and turned to Ashlynn, teeth bared. Ashlynn felt a sudden jolt of fear course through her, but she wouldn't stand down. She held the wood out in front of her, prepared for the attack. Suddenly Edmund jumped in front of her, waving his arms frantically. 

        "She's a friend. She's a daughter of Eve," He yelled, trying the calm the wolf. 

The wolf settled down slightly, but gave Ashlynn a hard glare. 

        "You're lucky my mistress wants you alive. Otherwise I would have ripped your throat right out," the wolf snarled. 

Edmund turned to face Ashlynn. 

       "You can put the stick down now," he told her. 

       "Why should I? You heard him, he'll rip my throat out," Ashlynn pointed out. 

Edmund rolled his eyes before turning to follow the wolf. Ashlynn stared down at the stick in her hand, and tucked it into her skirt, proud that she managed to defend herself. 

Edmund and Ashlynn were led into the throne room, where Maugrim, which was the wolf's name Ashlynn had learned, told them to wait. Ashlynn's head turned on a swivel, inspecting her surroundings. The ambiance and decor wasn't much different that the courtyard, the only difference being the massive ice throne on the center platform. It was covered in fur, what type Ashlynn couldn't determine. Edmund stared at the throne longingly, slowly walking up the steps to sit on it. Ashlynn tried to protest, but he ignored her, as usual. Edmund settled in, drinking the view from the throne, a sense of power overcoming him.