Chapter 9

Ashlynn stared at the ruined home before her, tears pricking at her eyes

Ashlynn stared at the ruined home before her, tears pricking at her eyes. Everything was demolished. Whoever rampaged the house felt the need to destroy absolutely everything. Ashlynn bent down to pick up a broken cup, a large shard missing from the lip. She let out a quiet sob, realizing it was the very same cup her and Lucy had shared a cup of tea with. 

       "Who would do such a thing?" She heard Lucy quietly ask. 

Ashlynn glances up to see the young girl nearly in tears and reaches out to pull her into a tight hug. Peter glanced simpathetically at the girls, before gently ripping a piece of parchment off the wall. 

       "The Former occupant of these premises, the Faun Tumnus, is under arrest and awaiting his trial on a charge of HighTreason against her imperial Majesty, Jadis, Queen of Narnia, Chatelaine of Cair Paravel, Empress of the Lone Islands, also to comforting her said Majesty's enemies, harbouring spies and fraternizing with Humans. Signed, Maugrim, captain of the Secret Police, Long live the Queen," Peter read aloud in a solemn voice. 

Tear were streaming down Ashlynn's face when he finished, realizing that Mr. Tumnus' arrest was her fault. Lucy seemed to think so as well, for she buried her face farther into Ashlynn's coat. 

       "Now we really should go," Susan reasoned, staring in shock at the paper Peter held in his hand. 

Ashlynn's head swung towards Susan. "But we have to help him!" She protested. 

       "It's out of our hands now Ash," Peter remarked. 

Ashlynn shook her head, her cerulean eyes, welling up with more tears. 

       "You don't get it do you? Lucy and I are the humans! She must have found out he helped us!" She argued. 

       "Maybe we should call the police," Peter thought. 

       "These are the police," Susan explained, shaking the declaration in her hand. 

Edmund suddenly decided to join in.

 "Why?" He asked. "I mean, he's a criminal." 

Ashlynn was about ready to slap Edmund for his cruelty. Mr. Tumnus had help Lucy and Ashlynn escape from being kidnapped. He risked his life to help the girls, and Edmund still viewed him as a criminal. If Ashlynn wasn't already anger with Edmund, she was done with him then. 

An argument ensued after Edmund's remark. Ashlynn let out a string of curse words at the boy, shocking everyone in the room. Peter attempted to calm the petite girl down, but she was fuming with anger. 

"Did that bird just psst us?" Susan asked the group, ignoring their fight. 

Susan idiotic question made Ashlynn falter. She looked at Susan in confusion before she heard a quiet psst echo through the forest. Ashlynn and the Pevensie's cautiously exited the home, their eyes fixated on the bright red cardinal perched on the tree in front of them. When the bird flew away, their gazes focused on the snow bank in front of them, which was now making a large clamor of noise. Ashlynn gripped Lucy's arm with one hand, her other finding Peter's. The group huddled close together, terrified of what was hiding behind the white powder. Suddenly, a brown, furry animal leaped out from behind the bank, causing Lucy to let out a terrified shriek. It took Ashlynn a minute to gather her surroundings before she recognized the creature before her.