Chapter 16

Ashlynn sat in her bedroom in Cair Paravel, frantically braiding her hair

Ashlynn sat in her bedroom in Cair Paravel, frantically braiding her hair. The cornonation was just moments away, and Ashlynn was far from ready. Her hair was still a mess, and Susan hadn't arrived to help her into her dress. A knock on the door sounded and Ashlynn bolted to the door, her braids flying behind her. She threw open the door and dragged Susan into the room, pleading for her to help her. Susan giggled at the girl, taking in her frazzled state. Susan picked up Ashlynn's dress, holding it up and gesturing for her to put it on. Ashlynn slipped into it easily, running her fingers over the beaded bodice. It was an elegant silver color, with the sleeves a sky blue. Ashlynn felt like a goddess in the dress. Susan tied the back together and draped Ashlynn's royal blue cape over her shoulders. She pulled the braids Ashlynn had been working so hard on out, causing Ashlynn to let out a sound of protest. 

       "Your hair is gorgeous when it's natural," Susan explained, gently combing Ashlynn's hair. 

Ashlynn sighed, deciding not to argue with Susan. 

Susan finished her hair in minutes, and stepped back to admire her handiwork. Ashlynn was amazed how quickly Susan had managed to get her ready. She threw her arms around the girl, thanking her over and over again. They were interrupted by Edmund, announcing it was time for the coronation. Ashlynn and Susan made their way to the throne room, meeting the rest of the Pevensies there. 

They lined up next to Aslan; the girls flanking one side, the boys on the other. A trumpet fanfare sounded and the doors opened, signaling their entrance. Ashlynn walked slowly down the aisle, smiling at the familiar faces in the crowd. When they reached the thrones, they separated, each going to stand in front of their respectable thrones. Ashlynn's was situated on the far right, night to Edmund's. She stood proudly before her throne, turning to face the crowd. 

Mr. Tumnus approached the group, carrying a large pillow with five crowns atop it. 

        "To the glistening eastern sea, I give you Queen Lucy, the Valiant," Aslan announced and Mr. Tumnus placed a silver crown, decorated with delicate flowers, onto Lucy's head. 

         "To the great western wood, I give you King Edmund, the Just," Aslan continued and Mr. Tumnus placed Edmund's silver crown onto him. 

         "To the steadfast mountains, I give you Queen Ashlynn, the Loyal," Aslan said. Mr. Tumnus gently placed a beautiful golden and silver crown on her head. It was swirled in intricate designs, with tiny amethysts scattered throughout. It was breathtaking. 

        "To the radiant southern sun, I give you Queen Susan, the Gentle," Susan's crown was similar to Ashlynn, but with flowers instead of amethysts. 

         "To the clear northern sky, I give you King Peter, the Magnificent," Peter's crown was the most regal of all. It was solid gold, with many details etched into every inch.