Chapter 15

Everything was a blur

Everything was a blur. Battle sounds rang through the valley, Ashlynn's ears ringing with every clang. She swung her dagger just as Orieus showed her, cutting down anything threatening her. Edmund stayed close by, never leaving her sight. Ashlynn didn't think twice as she stabbed a dwarf, killing it. She watched the chaos before her, shocked by the number of bodies that already littered the ground. She glanced over her shoulder to make eye contact with Edmund. She watched as he quickly took down a wolf, running his sword clean through it. Ashlynn jogged over to him. 

       "Are you okay?" They asked simultaneously. 

Ashlynn nodded her head and gestured to the battlefield before them. "There's too many of them Edmund. We're barely holding on as it is, and the Witch has a second rank waiting for us." 

       "We've got this. Don't give up yet." 

Ashlynn sighed and raised her dagger back up. She spun it around in her hand, making the blade bend back across her forearm, allowing her to maneuver it easier. She nodded her head towards Edmund and they both charged back into the battle. 

Ashlynn charged a boar, swinging her dagger wildly, blocking his axe. Ashlynn threw her leg up, kicking the boar harshly in the stomach, forcing him back. She ran her dagger through his armor, killing him instantly. Ashlynn didn't have a moment to breath before another creature attacked her, seeking to avenge his brother's death. Ashlynn's breath became labored as the fight dragged on; this boar much stronger than the last. Her legs became numb, her movements sluggish. The boar noticed this and lunged at her, throwing his axe out. Ashlynn attempted to sidestep, but she wasn't quick enough. The axe caught the edge of her shoulder, leaving a deep gash across her bicep. Ashlynn hissed in pain, gripping her shoulder. The boar grinned and raised his axe above his head, ready to finish her off. Ashlynn closed her eyes, ready to embrace death. 

A loud grunt of pain caused Ashlynn to open her eyes. Peter stood before her, his arm stretch out to help her up. The boar lay dead, Peter's sword stain a deep crimson from the bodies he had slayed. He pulled Ashlynn up, inspecting her wound. 

        "I'm fine," Ashlynn spoke before he could say anything. 

Peter sighed, knowing there wasn't anything he could say to change her mind. Ashlynn turned back to the fighting, shocked to see how many Narnians had fallen. She noticed The Withc's second rank beginning to advance, causing her to point it out to Peter. 

        "Fall back! Draw them to the rocks!" Peter shouted to the soilders. 

Peter shoved Ashlynn in front of him, telling her to gather the rest of the army. Ashlynn grabbed Peter's arm, stopping him. 

       "Be careful," she said to him. 

Ashlynnweaved her way through the fighting, shouting for everyone to fall back. Some followed her orders, while others were too blinded by rage to listen. She watched as Orieus and a rhinoceros charged past her. Ashlynn immediately knew who they were after. She tried to get them to stop, but her voice was drowned out by Orieus' battle cry. When Orieus reached The Witch, he swung his sword in a circular motion, aiming to chop her head off. The Witch dodged the blade expertly, and spun her wand around in her arms. She brought the tip of it down, impalling Orieus with it. It a matter of seconds Orieus was turned to stone.