Taste

Ch.11: Taste

The prince bolted up right, sticky from a cold sweat, scared by a forgotten nightmare. Catching his breath, Gum Ball looked around. Nothing moved except the pump of his chest. Eventually he plopped back down into his downy pillows, the fluff engulfing him as an arm covered his eyes. The prince could've sworn someone was here...

His shirt stretched, being tugged from the side until what climbed him weighted upon his chest, high pitch grunts with every inch. Slowly he moved away his arm. It sat inches from his face, eyes blazed red as a scrunched nose sniffed him. Gum Ball, startled, sat up with a scream. The creature toppled over itself with a yelp.

"Hey watch it!" it pipped, standing at the end of the bed "do you have any idea how fragile bat bones are?!" the prince stopped in mid swing, about to attack with a pillow.

"Glob, Marshal..." Gum Ball sighed, placing the pillow on his crossing legs, he gripped his forehead. The tiny Marshal crawled back over, looking under the short veil of pink hair.

"You okay?" he asked sincere, paw against a pink foot. The prince pulled his hand away, gripping his own jaw before reaching down. Between his thumb and forefinger he held a thin black ear, pointed to look sharp. Gum Ball rubbed his fingers together, scratching the bat's ear. Marshal pressed his head against the hand, forcing the prince to scratch behind the ear.

"You're more like a cat." Gum Ball muttered, "A fat cat." he flapped the bat's pudgy arms, jiggling its little pot belly. The bat pushed his hands away with a hiss.

"My metabolism is lower like this!" Marshal snapped, climbing over the prince's legs while tossing the pillow aside, "Now, pet me." The creature snuggled against Gum Ball's body heat. The prince gave in easily with a chuckle, stroking Marshal's slick fur and wings. Soon the bat fell asleep, belly up, within Gum Ball's legs. The prince smiled down at him, but it quickly faded as the door flew open. Quick thinking made him place the pillow over the awakened bat. Marshal began to protest, but was shut up by Gum Ball punching the pillow. Peppermint came rolling through, carrying breakfast.

"Gooooooood morning, prince!" she drawled.

"Morning" the prince said with good posture and a dignified voice, fingers lacing over the pillow. The maid took no notice as she poured tea from a raspberry colored kettle. With a chirpy "Good bye!" she left.

Shoulders slumping in relief, the prince relaxed as the bat struggled under the pillow. Marshal crawled his way out, gasping for air, flumping back with his legs stretched towards the ceiling.

"Let's just say I am more delicate in this form." Marshal said using his arms to emphasize, Gum Ball's confusion lessened.

"Does that mean you're... easier to kill?" Gum Ball inquired. The bat looked up between his legs, seeing the prince's brows were all bent up in worry. Marshal stood up, walking over to grab a bundle of grapes before crawling on to the pillow in Gum Ball's lap. He plucked a grape, reached up, and pressed it against Gum Ball's lips. The prince stared at the bat as it went past his lips.

"No," he finally answered, plucking another grape, " it just hurts more." He fed the prince one grape at a time.

"Don't you need to eat?" the prince asked between bites, "the grapes are the only red." without a word the bat kept feeding him, only smirking. When the prince finished the last grape Marshal grew large, kicking the trey off the bed. Dishes shattered as the food splattered across the floor. Back in his original form, he pinned the prince down with the pillow between their waist.

"I don't only drink red." he purred, fangs sinking deep into the pink flesh.