Just Tell Her {Thomas Jefferson x reader}

A/N: Um i hope you guys know this book was just so I could read on shot on the bus because tumblr blocked on my phone. I never thought it would get so many views so thanks. Thanks again.

Tumblr User: Lafa-yeah

Vote Comment and follow

I wrote this at, like, 4 a.m. and I'm sorry if it sucks 😁 anyways, if you have any requests for headcanons I'm in the mood for doing some. Enjoy!!

Warnings: a lovesick TJeffs, maybe one or two curse words

Summary: Jefferson has been madly in love for months and after a little persuasion finally decides to confess.

▪▫▪

How could you know Thomas Jefferson was in love?

First of all - attention. He was a kind of man who loved having people's attention, but when it came to you he was especially willing to catch it. Whenever you entered the room he was in, catching your eye (and hopefully a smile) became his main goal. Sometimes he'd greet you quite loudly, attracting not only yours, but attention of other people around you as well.

Second - physical contact. When near you or talking to you , Thomas was never a hundred percent sure what to do with his hands. Dying to hold you close but feeling awkward about it, he settled on simply putting a hand around your shoulder or on your lower back if he was just passing by.

Third- a change in the mood. Hamilton and Jefferson were never on the best terms, but when you were around Thomas was all of a sudden less annoyed with Alexander, and his thoughts were consumed by your presence. Also he was more determined to sound smart and get his ideas and suggestions accepted - he wanted to impress you.

Fourth - talking about you. In all honesty, you didn't intend to eavesdrop, but it was a little hard not to, since Thomas has never been subtle about praising you - your looks, sense of humor, intelligence or anything else. Somehow you always caught bits of conversations which mentioned you. Poor James Madison was probably fed up with hearing about how great you are, and Thomas not making a move.

▪▫▪

You were walking towards Thomas' office to deliver copies of some analysis you've been working on together. You hoped you looked decent, since you slept in that morning and haven't had the time to do your hair.

For quite some time you've had feelings for him and for some reason today you felt nervous about working with him closely. He was really a full deal - smart, good looking, charming, witty. A gentleman. Almost everyone at work, including yourself, have noticed how he acted around you so you were quite sure he had feelings for you as well, for some reason not telling you anything.

Consumed by your thoughts, you barely noticed you were standing at the office door, and just as you were about to knock, you heard a well-known voice mention your name again.

"Where's [Y/N]? I haven't seen her today and we've got a project to work on."

Thomas.

"I doubt you're worried about the project, you just wanna see her."

And James.

"Man, you've never had trouble approaching a woman and asking her out, why is it any different now? You've been crazy for her for months and still didn't do anything about it!"

You almost gasped, but covered your mouth in a quick movement not to be heard.

"Because," Thomas breathed in, "she's not like other women. She's so different, she's unreal! Really one of a kind – that smile, and eyes, and her laugh... I could go on and on."

You grinned like a fool.

"Please don't," James groaned, "I've heard enough about her already. And you should finally go for it, she'd be here any minute anyway so grab the opportunity."

"What if she rejects me?"

"Jefferson, afraid of rejection?! Judging by how she looks at you when you think she's not paying attention, she's not gonna say no."

"She doesn't need a man with a player reputation."

"You're impossible today, T! I mean, you alway are but especially today. I've heard Hamilton's got an eye on [Y/N], so I suggest you make a move before it's too late." John insisted, making Thomas gasp at the mention of Alexander.

"I'm gonna tell her!"

You took a deep breath and tried to compose yourself before sharply knocking on the door and entering the office. James was smiling widely at you, while Thomas looked somehow scared. You greeted the men and smiled. "I brought those papers."

"You're a sweetheart," John mused, walking over to you and taking the things from your hands, "and I'll take care of these. Thomas has to tell you something." He patted your shoulder and left the room, while Thomas looked at him like he wanted to murder him.

"So," you started, standing in front of him and crossing your arms, "what do you need to tell me?"

He inhaled deeply and slowly, taking your hands in his. "Well... I know there are rumors going around about me, and they aren't exactly the nicest things you can hear, and I believe you can have and deserve a better man than me - but hey, at least I'm good looking." He chuckled breathlessly, instantly continuing with what he was saying.

For the first time in months, Thomas Jefferson was genuinely nervous.

"And you can say no, you can just leave and never talk to me again and go find someone and be happy but... if you'd let me I could try - I will give my best to make you as happy as you make me." He paused to look into your eyes and see you smiling warmly and lovingly at him, like he was everything you've ever wanted. That look on your face made his heart skip a beat and he was praying it was a good sign and maybe, just maybe you felt that way about him too.

"What I'm trying to say is, [Y/N], I am in love with you."

You didn't know what to say after everything he's told you just a minute ago so the best thing you could was pull him by the collar of his shirt in a passionate, yet soft kiss. After a few seconds you felt Thomas smile against your lips and you pulled away, mirroring his facial expression.

"I'm in love with you too."

And just as you were about to kiss again, you heard James' voice from the door, "Fucking finally!"

"Madison, you have five seconds to run."