The Murderer

What do you want? Why do have to stare at me like that? Why dont you leave me alone? Yes, I was pronounced guilty. But haven't I suffered enough? Look at me, my hallowed cheeks, the dark rings around my eyes, my weakened body. Do they not show signs of hardship? Are they not enough for the crime which I am accused of? That crimeㅡ It is clear to my mind now.

You have seen my name in lights. Now Showing: "Panibugho", starring Arturo Reyes and Belen Martinez. We were so popular not only in Manila but also in neighbouring provinces. Arturo and I first met on August 13. We were engaged on November 13 on the 13th day of our performance. Arturo and I had three curtain calls. One and three makes 13. Oh! What a lucky number!

I was in my dressing room getting ready for the next act when my attention was caught by a piece of note lying on the floor. I picked it up and read it.

'March 13, Belen Martinez. I wish you bad luck today.'

Who could have sent this? There was no signature.

I dismissed it from my mind as I threw the piece of paper away. "Curtain call for the next act!" shouted the stage director. Walking out of the dressing room. I stepped out on the silver plaque. Looking on the silver plaque, I saw that engraved on it was the number 13. Somebody must be making fun of me. Somebody must be making fun of my lucky number. My nightmare cane to me vividly. But I have to go on with the act. I have to kill the hero. I have to strike the dagger in to Arturo's heart and kill him.

Everything went black. I didn't notice the curtain falling as people rose from their seats clapping and saying, "Bravo!Bravo! Bravo!" What a fine performance, indeed. For Arturo was dead, really dead. I killed him. I killed him, I killed him!

But I didn't mean to kill him. It was only an act. Somebody must have tricked me, somebody must have tricked me in a crossed way.
The note, the number on the silver plaque, the genuine dagger!

Belen Martinez is a murderer! No! no, no! Belen Martinez is a hero!

But I am an innocent prisoner.