36. Birthday

"Yes of course" Josh exclaims, waking me up. "We'll come by as soon as my fiancée wakes up" he says excitedly. "Thank you so much" he says before hanging up the phone. I furrow my eyebrows as I sit up and look at Josh intrigued.

"What has you so excited?" I laugh. He brings his gaze to me and a bright smile takes over his face.

"Happy birthday" he says sweetly as he comes to sit on the edge of the bed beside me. I let him distract me with a long, lingering kiss before pulling back and shaking my head.

"We'll kiss later" I insist, "what had you so excited on the phone?" I ask confused.

"I could tell you or I could show you. Get dressed. I'm gonna go get Ems ready to leave" he says as he stands up and walks out of the room. I watch him go and grow even more confused. I pull back the blankets and climb out of bed, heading to the bathroom to take a quick shower. Once I'm done I slip into a simple black dress that I pair with my favorite gray booties. I leave my hair hanging around my shoulders and head out to the living room.

"Happy birthday kiddo" my dad smiles, being the first one to see me upon my entrance.

"Thanks dad" I reply sweetly as I lean down to kiss his cheek.

"How does it feel to be twenty-three?" my dad asks making me chuckle as I shrug.

"The same as it felt when I feel asleep last night as a twenty-two year old" I reply honestly. Sometimes it shocked me how much my life had changed since I fell for Josh. On that stormy night I never once thought it would be possible for Josh and I to be together for almost seven years and have a darling five year old daughter.

"There's mama" my mom says to Emma as her and my daughter walk into the room.

"Mommy. Happy birthday" she exclaims as she runs towards me, throwing her arms around me. I smile as I scoop her up and hold her tight.

"Thanks baby girl" I smile as I kiss her cheek. "Where's your daddy? He said he was going to get you ready."

"I'm right here" Josh says as he walks into the room from the office. "I was just taking care of some last minute things" he adds as he looks to my parents who give him shy smiles. I furrow my eyebrows at the group of them.

"What is going on?" I ask as I look to my fiancé for answers but he simply shakes his head.

"You'll see when we get there" he says as he takes Emma from my arms. "Are you ready to go? You look gorgeous" he adds as he takes in my appearance. I blush as I nod my head.

"I'm ready. Am I overdressed for our mystery location?" I ask but he laughs as he shakes his head.

"You're dressed just right for the occasion" he assures me. "Come on" he smiles as he takes my hand in his and pulls me towards the front door.

*************************************************************************************

"Mama where are we going?" Emma asks from the backseat and my eyes widen as I look from my daughter to Josh.

"Wait. She doesn't know the surprise?" I exclaim making Josh laugh as he shakes his head.

"She does not. Hell I didn't even know about the surprise until this morning" he adds making me grow even more confused. He was sure doing a good job of keeping my head spinning. He continues to drive and suddenly I recognize the neighborhood. I remembered the quaint little houses that I had fallen in love with, one in particular that Josh and I were planning on adding a porch swing and a tree house to.