Chapter 10: A high stance and a hoodie

"Look what the cat dragged in" a comment I heard from not far behind me, a snarky one at that. Natalie.

Giving Lucy a rather sarcastic smile and a rudely polite 'can you gimme a second?' I slide of my stool at the bar and turned on my heals to face the evil witch. A big grin on my face as I approached her started to fade as I just about got my words out through gritted teeth...

"Sweet Natalie, look, I'm not saying you're jealous but, I think you're jealous. And even if you weren't, there is no way I am going to let you ruin this day for me. You move along with your 'mean girls sidekicks' and have your night, and I'll have mine. Goodnight, just in case I don't see you later. And I hope I don't." I just about turn my head around when she grabs my arm to stop me moving away a hiss deep in her voice.
"Watch yourself"

Eye in eye and our brains thought our fight.

"Try me" and with that she turned on her heels and left, a sinister look covering her face. She's up to something. I can feel it.

"Come on, let's go" a moan I heard soon after in the background of my mind, my eyes still fixated in confusion on the girl who'd just left.

Soon enough I was dragged though crowds of people, weaving my way through the maze of humans, not long after, finding myself at the girls bathroom stall with Lucy, a look of disgust and confusion laced across her face.

"What?" Though it came out a little harsher than expected, she noticed and continued.

"What do you mean 'what?'" Her use of air quotes begins to make me feel uncomfortable. "Don't start anything tonight A. Or you'll never see the end of it from me, I promise." And with a growl she stormed out, slamming the door behind her.

This is just what she does you see, as soon as I walk out she'll act like she was never mad. Like she never could be.

I take a moment to look at the reflection in the mirror. This isn't me. I'm the girl in the light grey hoodie and the baggy jeans. An outcast, noticed by the only one who was the exact opposite. Lucy. She was popular. Before I happened. A part of me thing thinks this started off as a putty thing. I mean, I doubt it still is, but maybe it was.

I tighten the strap on my dress and hold the bottom up slightly before I exist the stalls, coming to a halt when Daniel is at a high stance and broad posture in front of me, I trip a little over his feet and fall into his warmth. His suit is silky, dark and smooth. The little dickie bow he wears is slightly in neat, so I try to break the tension by giving him a hand and straightening it up for him. A small smile creeps upon his cheeks and he goes a little red. I bite my lip at this, before coming to the realisation of what was going on.

Desperate the change he atmosphere, I say the first thing that comes to mind "Sooo, you gonna offer to buy me a drink or what?"

He chuckles at this and shakes his head slightly, before swaying his hand in the direction of the bar where Lucy and Richard sat, smothering each other with 'eskimo kisses' .

"Ahem" I announce, when Lucy's eyes dart towards me, her face filled with embarrassment.

"This rounds on Daniel" I state, before we blend into an aroma of chatter, giggles and joyous. Maybe this'll be better than expected.