Chapter 5: You'd Keep Running Away

'I'm sorry'

Yep. The last words he used. 'I'm sorry, and he his too.'

You know sometimes I wish right then and there I grabbed the pillow and magically turned it into a gun and just went 'poof!' Not literally, but I was still pretty mad.

All he really said was how it wasn't his fault or mine and it was no ones but his da- fathers. He did it. And how when he tried to stop him the first time, they lost contact and he had no way at all of locking him up for his crimes. He still doesn't know where he is, what he's doing... Or if he's still up to the same things anymore.  After we spoke, he soon left me alone to fantasize about Augustus Waters before I went to bed.

But after one or two cold and mind numbing hours of tossing and turning, not being able to sleep... I picked up my phone. I flew straight to my contacts before my thumb hovered over the FaceTime button next to Mikes name.
Should I? Should I not?

One part of me was telling me not to try because I might wake him, another tells me he wouldn't care since he doesn't sleep till late anyway.

Eventually and decide against it. My digital clock hits 02:03 and I do something I should never do in a million years.

I called Daniel.

I've heard the saying before 'Nothing good happens after 2am.' It never bothered me until then. Because now, now I see the truth in it.

*****

I'm still up by the time my alarm goes of at 6 to get up for school. But not only am I still up, I'm still on the phone to Daniel. 

We stay on the call until we get to school. Even when Lucy picks me up like she used to, I'm still speaking to him. She's annoyed about but honestly? I couldn't care less.

I still had a few problems with people's noticing my random reappearance who didn't yesterday. It's not as bad as it was though. I mean, today I actually got through a lesson, managing to walk out the room knowing something I didn't when I entered the jail cell.

They day was fine until... Lunch. I sat down with Lu at our usual table, instantly picking up my sandwich from my try, about to eat when, she happened.

Someone tapped me on the shoulder, and I can recognize that rough and feeling of almost death from anywhere.
She coughed to get my attention, but I bit into my food, not wanting to put up with he trouble today.

"Ah hem!" She chocked, giving me death glares in the side on my head.
"What do you want Natalie? Can't you see I'm kinda busy?" I hissed at her, praying she would leave.
"I just wanted to say what nerve and guts you must have to come back here. I'm surprised." The sarcasm in her voice made me spit at her in my mind.

"Why? Because you know if you were in my shoes, you'd keep running away and not facing up to your problems?" The way I said this made he give off a disturbed face, but you can see in her eyes that she knows I'm right.

"There you go." And with that I turned around and continued what I was previously doing. I hear the click of heals on the floor getting further and further away and I know she's leaving. Let's hope she doesn't come back. She caused enough trouble as it is.