Chapter Thirty-two

Clare' POV

The movie has just finished and we're walking back outside. There are small droplets of water falling from the sky and one hits me in the cheek just as I step into the sidewalk. 

"That was a nice movie," I say to avoid any awkward silence. 

"Yea it was," i turn to see that there's a smile on Tyler's face. 

"I should go back home now," I say. 

"Why? Because of what Niall said?" There a small lines forming on his forehead, clearly upset on my sudden eagerness to go home. 

"It's getting late already," I point out. 

We're walking back to his car in silence now. I don't know if I want to keep talking after I just upset him. I want to go home and call Niall so he's sure that I'm perfectly fine with going out with a friend. I want to hear his voice and make sure he's not still mad. 

Once we're inside of Tyler's car, he turns down the volume to the CD that was playing. He sits there, thinking some things to himself and I'm left being the awkward girl I tend to be in these types of situations. 

"You know, all I wanted was a chance with you?" He asks out loud, but his voice is low. 

I bite my lip and think of ways to reply to this. There is no way other than to reply with the truth. I don't want to sound rude though, so before saying it I take a deep breath. 

"I'm with Niall."

He sighs and puts his head back on the seat, "I know that. And it kills me." 

"I'm sorry." 

I have no words for him. I wish I could tell him I felt something back, but I'm not too sure. I feel something, but it doesn't compare to what I feel for Niall. I'ts completely different. I'm only attracted to Tyler because of his looks. 

"I know it's not your fault," he says. "It's mine. For not telling you the minute I started having feelings for you. I wish I could go back in time and tell you. This way you would be dating me instead." 

"I don't think that's how it works," I shake my head. "My feelings for Niall have always been there. I just didn't know. And his too. It's not just something that came up. And either way, I don't think something would have happened between you and I."

"I do. I know you would have at least given me a chance. The one I've been wanting all along. I know I make you feel something inside. I know that every time we're alone you get slightly nervous. It might be because of what Niall thinks, but I know you're afraid too. You're afraid that one day you will loose yourself to me and cheat on Niall."

I let his words sink in one by one. Slowly I begin to interpret them with my own. It's true, i do grow nervous around him. I always tend to avoid eye contact when we get talking about anything that isn't the weather or school. Especially when it deals with us. 

"I would never cheat on Niall," I narrow my eyes, not liking one bit about what he thinks of me. "I don't play like that."

"You say that now," he says. He takes a close look at me while I stare back at him. He slowly begins to get closer to me until our lips are only an inch away from each other. My heartbeat is picking up and my mouth is growing dry. I don't dare move, for fear something can happen.

"But what if," he continues. "You get caught in the moment. A moment of passion and desire. Or a moment where you don't know what else to do, but kiss me. A moment where you have no way out of doing what you really want to do. Your body wants me, Clare. You can't deny that."