Chapter Thirty-eight

Niall's POV

"Come on boys! You can't slow down now! If you want to win this, then you need to work to get there!"

We've been in practice for an hour or so now. Coach has us running laps around the field and my feet ache already. We've been doing sets of workouts to get in great shape for the pre-tournament this Saturday. He keeps reminding us that it's only days away and I just wanna slap the shit out of him and tell him we already know. 

He finally blows the whistle and we all stop on our tracks. Everyone is panting and taking in deep full breaths. We're all beyond tired and the morning sun isn't helping much. Our first period is about to end and we have just enough time to get in the locker room, shower quick, and get dressed for the rest of the school day. 

The entire practice I've had a headache and it won't go away. Even though I slept better last night, the other nights added together haven't been so great on me. I need an entire day so I catch up on my damn sleep. But of course, we all know that won't be happening any time soon. 

We all huddle as a group, with only some space for air to not get too heated up. We all stink and the smell is a bit nauseous. My stomach is beginning to swirl and I'm glad I haven't eaten anything for breakfast yet. 

"Alright boys," the coach finally gets to us and we all look up and stand from having our hands on our knees, trying to catch our breath. "I don't want any of you guys being late tomorrow. Anyone who is will run an extra mile after practice is over. Do I make myself clear?!"

His voice is loud and clear and we all answer back with a "Yes, coach." 

"Niall, I need to talk to you. Everyone else, leave."

Nobody argues and I watch as they all run inside the building through the locker room's door. He waits until he is sure nobody can hear and he turns to face me with a serious face. 

"What's up coach?" 

"Niall something is up. And that something is having an effect during practice. You're usually the one to beat everyone and be ahead of the team. That's why you're the captain. So you need to get your things together. We can't loose that pre-tournament this Saturday or the rest of the guys will get bumbed down for finals. I need you to be the leader I know you can be." 

"Sorry," I mumble. "I've just been lacking some sleep." And I'm having to pick between losing Clare or losing the final game.

"No apologies, just come more prepared tomorrow. If I see you're not your best, I might have to make some adjustments to the team. And I don't want to do that, Niall. You're a great captain. So show me again why we picked you."

I nod and he tells me to go inside. I feel his words circle the back of my mind and I squint my eyes for a mere second. So much damn pressure. I can't let my team down, but I won't let Tyler do anything to jeopardize my relationship with Clare. 

"Hey man, what did coach want?" I look up and see Erik. Shit, I'm already in the locker room. 

"Nothing," I say with a shrug. He doesn't buy it, but decides to not ask again. 

I can't let them down. It'd be so low of me to do. 

I walk out of my Economics class and I walk to Clare's locker where she is. It's passing period, which means we don't have much time. I walk up to her and when she sees me she gives me a flattering smile. 

"Hey," she says a bit excited. 

"Hey, what's up?"

"Just happy," she answers and I have a feeling she's not telling me something, but I let it go.