Chapter 10

Chapter 10 Sweet Escape

"And then we made a color wheel!" Ella exclaimed using her hands, flinging her Mac n Cheese across the kitchen as she does so.

"Ella, honey, put your fork down." Deb quietly reminds her.

"What's a color wheel?" Olivia's small voice squeaks. I watch as she pushes her blonde hair away from her face and stabs her food, the plastic baby fork doing nothing to actually pierce the piece of lettuce.

Josh goes into explaining what a color wheel is and I tune him out. I quietly move my food around my plate as the girls talk about random things, having to be reminded to eat every so often.

"So, Jasey." Josh starts and I look up.
"I was thinking we could enroll you in school tomorrow and then I'll show you around town?" I glance at Deb, not having much of a relationship with Josh. I nod my head because I can't really say no. "Yeah. That would be fine. Could we.." I feel awkward asking so I stop. Their eyes are expectant so I just go for it, "Could we maybe go shopping? A lot of my clothes kind of.. Hot." I look down at my uneaten food.
"Oh my gosh, honey, yes! When I get off work I will take you." She smiles at me and I nod my head, "Thank you." I grin. That neighbor boy pops into my head, "Uh who's that boy next door?" I ask, moving the salad around on my plate.
"That's Luke!" Ella exclaims, "He's the babysitter!" She giggles. I nod my head, my mouth making an 'O' in understanding.
"He's actually around your age." Josh adds on as he cuts Olivia's hot dog.

----------

The radio wakes me up, turning from the classical music I fell asleep listening to, to the news.

I throw to covers off of me and swing my feet to the floor, sliding off the edge of the mattress until my feet hit the floor. I yawn and rub the sleep away from my eyes.

I push back my curtains, letting the morning sunlight shine through the windows. I open the glass doors to the deck and let the breeze dance into my room. I turn the radio off and let the sounds of the ocean calm me as I get ready for my first day of school.

Three days ago I enrolled and chose my classes. There's this thing here where they only have four classes a day. The school system here is different from America and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I was excited to start my senior year but here I have another year. Since summer and winter are complete opposites the summer vacation goes from December to February. 

"Jase, you almost ready?" Josh calls from downstairs. I snap out of my thoughts, anxiety replacing whatever feeling I had before.
"Eh.. Almost!" I call as I rush to put on my outfit. I chose a loose, white, tank top dress with brown combat boots rolled over. I planned my outfit days in advance, using clothes to hide the fact that my heart is broken. I throw on my moms silver Tiffany & Co. chain over my rubber band. Which I snap to "release my feelings."

Sometimes the heavy weight on my chest turns into anger and I don't know how to get the feeling to go away so the short pain from snapping the band repeatedly helps a lot.

Tossing my book bag over my shoulder, I head downstairs to greet- my family?
When I reach the bottom I see the whole crew waiting for me, smiling.
"You look gorgeous." Deb smiles at me before opening her arms for a hug, which I gladly fall into.
"We get to drive you to school today!" Olivia claps her hands and I give her a small smile, "Well you two better get me there on time." I tease as Josh grabs their backpacks.
"I'll see you this afternoon!" She tells me, kissing the girls, "Have a good first day! Call me if you need anything!" She grabs her stuff heading out of the house.Shortly after her silvers Mercedes speeds away, the four of us head outside to the car.