Chapter Forty Five: Lawyers and Doctors

The door open, and Max came running into our apartment, wagging his tail and yipping. He was so thrilled to see us after we had been gone for the weekend. 

"Thanks, Ollie. How was he?" Argus asked, unclipping Max's leash and hanging it by the door.

"Oh, he was great. I love this dog! We went to the dog park, and to the beach! It was fun, right Max?" Ollie said, and the dog barked in response. "How was your trip?" Ollie asked.

"Pretty good, pretty good. Got everything packed and shipped, it should be here tomorrow. Lex got to say goodbye to her friends and everything." Argus replied. I was sitting on the floor, giving Max all the attention.

Argus and Ollie continued to talk while I led Max into my room. Most of my things had to be mailed, but I was able to fit a couple items in my suitcase. I pulled out a toy of Max's, and the Newfoundland's eyes lit up. It was his favorite, and I knew he'd be excited to see it. Max gently took the soft stuffed lamb from my hands and carried it to the corner, resting his head on it. 

The rest of the furniture in my room had been built, so I unpacked my suitcase and put the clean clothes away in the dresser. I put the few books I had on the bare bookshelf. My box of books would be arriving soon and I was excited to fill the shelf with them.

Davi and Piers came over a couple days after that, Davi making dinner for us. Max and I ran to say hello when the doorbell rang. I greeted Davi with a hug, and Piers with a small wave. 

After all the greetings were done, Davi went into the kitchen to start cooking, leaving me with Argus and Piers in the living room. Max was helping in the kitchen.

"So, Lexi, how's school going?" Piers asked, smiling.

"Oh, I'm not in school," I replied with a shrug.

"You aren't?! Argus, when are you going to enroll her? It's going to look really bad for the court case if she isn't in school." Piers responded.

"I was getting around to it. I'll do it soon." Argus answered.

"Well, tomorrow wouldn't be soon enough. The first court hearing is this weekend, and you will need to be there. Lexi won't have to come for this one, though." Piers stated.

"Alright, I'll be there. Lexi has a doctor's appointment tomorrow though, so I probably won't start her in school until next week." 

"Tomorrow's Thursday. You could do it Friday." Piers replied. It was obvious he was starting to get upset.

"Alright, who's ready for some chicken parmesan!" Davi called from the kitchen. 

.........................................................................

I sat on the cold metal table at the doctor's office. The nurse who had brought us in here had been nice, but also a little alarmed when I told her what kind of shifter I was. Since then, we had been waiting to see the doctor. The TV was turned on, with How To Train Your Dragon playing. I watched it, giving it only part of my attention. The last time I had been to a doctor, I was told I was crazy. I was expecting a replay of that visit today. 

The door opened, and in walked a doctor in her white outfit, smiling. "Hello, Lexi, I'm Dr. Morris. Nice to meet you." She extended her hand to me, and I shook it. She turned to Argus, who was sitting on the other chair, and asked, "So, you had a reason for coming in today, correct?" 

"Yeah, she's been having a lot of headaches recently. They're pretty intense." Argus replied, "We had an MRI done about a month ago. The images from that should be in her file."