Chapter Fifty Six: Prey

(Lexi's POV)

Gwen didn't come back that night, or the next day. Wolf and I had been playing our made up game after a lunch of rice and some kind of mystery meat, waiting for something to happen. He didn't know about what had gone down, but he could tell something was wrong. Even though he begged, I refused to talk about it. I was already horrified with myself.

The door swung open, slamming against the metal wall. Dr. Griffin stood in the doorway. Wolf jumped up, the soccer ball rolling aside. With my shifter senses, I could feel the fear pouring off of Wolf.

"Sit back down, Wolf." Griffin spoke, his voice harsh. "Subject X, Dr. Barrett requested that I work with you today." His grin was evil, but it took me a moment to realize he was talking about me. I hadn't been called that in years! I leapt up when I saw him reach for the shock collar remote in his pocket.

As soon as we were out of the room, he clamped a chain onto my left wrist, "Heard you were a runner," He stated. I growled back at him, and he yanked me forward with the chain. Catching myself before I fell, I made the decision to show this asshole a little taste of his own medicine. But first I would bide my time...

"Get up on the table." He barked once we were in the exam room, letting go of the chain. Climbing up, I watched to see what he had in store for me. I had something in store for him, as well. After what seeing what he did to Wolf yesterday? I felt this scientist deserved a little karma, in the form of a 400 pound Siberian tiger. Dr. Griffin came back carrying a tray with empty syringes and vials. "I don't know what you did yesterday, but I've never seen Shane more upset." Dr. Griffin laughed, lifting one of the syringes up to the light. Shane was Dr. Barrett's first name, I recalled. "He didn't even want to look at you today. So when the corporation asked for blood samples today by the end of the shift, he asked if I could get yours. Not a problem..." Dr. Griffin stabbed the needle into my arm, and I yelped sharply, "Sorry, missed the vein, let me try again."

Four vials of blood later, and I was ready to rip this guy apart. He turned his back to me, stacking them into a little plastic container. I was preparing to shift, when suddenly he turned back around. "You know, I've heard a lot about you. You've caused a lot of trouble here over these past few years, escaping and all that. Frankly, I'm not too fond of shifters in general. But there's really no worth to keeping trouble makers around, is there? So just behave, and maybe I'll throw you a bone once in a while, pretty girl?" He placed his hand on top of mine. Yep, I was going to kill him. He smiled once again and turned back to the vials.

I shifted, leaping forward and landing on the floor right behind him with a snarl.

"Now what did I just say?" Dr. Griffin shook his head without turning around.

"Shut up, fuckface, before I tear you limb from limb" I roared, and then gasped. The voice had spoken for me. Let me handle this, the voice spoke inside my head. My eyes widened as a cool feeling rushed over my body, and everything suddenly felt very different. I had no control over my movements, or what I said. Don't worry, this is what I was made for. Without me telling it to, my body stepped back into a defensive position, waiting for Dr. Griffin to turn around. My body was growling: a rumbly frightening sound from deep within my chest, stronger and louder than I normally could do it.

Dr. Griffin turned around, a whip in his hands, "Get back on the table, lay down, and be a good kitty." He said.

"That would be nice, now wouldn't it?" The voice growled back, and then leapt towards him, getting a good claw along his lower leg before he smacked the whip into my side. With the lack of feeling with everything else, I was expecting not to feel pain in this weird state, but strangely enough, the stinging pain cut through the numb sensation.