Chapter Fifty Two: The Only One

(Argus's POV)

I stretched out to find Ollie curled up against my side. The alarm on my phone was going off, and Grey Cat sat at the edge of the bed, looking bothered. "I know, I know, Grey." I told the cat, getting up to turn it off. It was a school morning, so I had time to make coffee before I needed to wake the tiger.

The cat jumped down and followed me out of the room, pausing outside of Lexi's room to scratch at the door. "She's sleeping still, give me fifteen minutes of peace, cat." I told the animal, who mreowed up at me.

I started the coffee and leaned against the counter, scrolling through Twitter on my phone. Grey Cat sat at my feet, making chirping sounds. As I continued to ignore her, the cat leapt up on the counter next to me and began to rub her face on my arm. "Fine, I'll pet you, sorry!" I told the animal. The coffee maker finished and I poured myself a cup.

Ollie came out next and got a cup for himself, adding way too much sugar for any one human being. The two of us pet the cat while we sipped our coffee.

"Do you ever worry that you're doing something so badly, that you're messing everything else up because of it?" I said to him.

"Hmm?" Ollie looked over at me, confused.

"Nevermind. I have to go wake Lexi, she has to get ready for school." I set down the mug. Grey Cat leapt down and ran after me.

"Hey, it's time to wake up," I called, knocking on her door. I waited a moment, expecting to hear Max jump down and run to the door, along with her tired response. When after a minute I heard nothing, I knocked again, "Come on Lex', I know yesterday you weren't feeling well, but you have to go to school today."

Still no response, and not a sound of motion from the dog, either. Grey Cat circled my legs, meowing constantly. Something wasn't right. Ollie had come out of the kitchen and stood in the hallway, tilting his head while watching us.

"I'm going to come in," I said, knocking once more before opening the door. A cold burst of air slipped out as I stepped inside.

The room was empty, the open window causing the curtains to flutter. Grey Cat ran inside and leapt up on the bed, letting out a yowl.

"She ran away." I spoke.

Ollie stood behind me, his eyes taking in the empty room, "How'd she get the dog out the window?!" He asked.

I just shook my head.

..........................................................

(Lexi's POV)

Everything hurt and I was dying. Okay, that second part wasn't true, but I sure felt like it. I woke up to find myself on the floor in a tiny room, the door locked, my hands chained together. My head was dizzy and I struggled to remember anything other than bits and pieces of the day before. But I definitely had an idea.

I wanted to cry, but I needed to stay strong to fight him. Or at least try to. I pushed myself up so I was sitting against the wall, and then struggled to a standing position. With a growl, I stumbled over to the door and tried to look out the window, but found it was one way.

I leaned back against the wall, not sure what else to do. Suddenly, the door opened. I put on my best pissed-off face.

"Now, now, look at you... Did you think you'd really be able to hide from us?" Standing in the doorway, wearing a white doctor's coat and all, was Dr. Barrett. In his left hand he held an electric stick, the electricity arching between the two prongs on the end.