Chapter Forty Six: That's The Way The Bacon Crumbles

(Argus's POV)

With Ollie's help, I drove 7 hours to North Bend, Oregon, to pick them up at the airport. We got there about two hours early and napped in the car while we waited.

Heidi called me when she arrived, and I drove the car to the arrival lanes in front of the airport. There stood Heidi and Rex, each holding a suitcase, looking around. Ollie and I got out of the car to greet them.

"Argus, I'm so glad to see you!" Heidi greeted me with a hug.

"Hey, Ollie! I didn't expect you to come!" Rex smiled. His eye was pretty badly swollen. Rex noticed us looking at it and added, "You should see the other guy."

"Glad you two made it okay," I replied, "We have a 7-hour drive ahead of us, so we better get on the road."

Once in the car, Heidi asked, "Where's Lexi? I thought she'd be here."

"I left her home. My brother's going to come over and spend the day with her. Ollie could help with driving, so I brought him along instead." I explained.

"Oh okay. Thanks for picking us up. I didn't realize it'd be such a long drive for you." Heidi responded.

Soon after that, they fell asleep, tired from being on the plane all night. Ollie dozed in the passenger seat as well. 

.........................................................................

I pulled into the parking spot in front of my apartment. This was going to be quite the tight couple days in the tiny place. Ollie had offered his place, but his little studio was already much smaller than my apartment.

We got their bags out of the back of the car and helped them up the stairs. My brother must have heard us and opened the door just as I made it to the top of the steps.

"Hi, welcome!" Davi said, waving to Rex and Heidi.

Max came running to greet them as they walked into the apartment. "Max!" Rex exclaimed, dropping down to his knees to pet the dog.

"Hi, Rex, Heidi," Lexi said.

"If you guys are hungry, I made some chicken soup. It's on the stove in the kitchen." Davi announced. 

Everyone agreed that they were starving, so Davi began dishing up bowls for everyone. It was quickly discovered we didn't have enough bowls for everyone, so a few people got mugs. We couldn't all sit at the kitchen table, so we ended up in the living room, either on the floor or the sofa.

"Where's Piers today?" I asked Davi.

"Oh, he's at the court hearing," Davi responded.

"Was that the one I was supposed to be at?" I asked, worriedly.

"Yeah, but he said the first one is no big deal if you aren't there." Davi shrugged.

"Would it be better if I showed up late, or not at all?" I questioned.

"Probably not at all. They don't usually appreciate being interrupted." Davi replied. 

"What's the court hearing for?" Heidi asked. Lexi gave me a pointed look. She did not want this shared with everyone else here.

"It's kind of a long story," I answered, shrugging.

"Oh! Argus, I brought over the sleeper sofa, I figured someone could sleep on that, and then the other person could sleep on the couch." Davi announced, changing the subject for me. 

"Oh, great, thanks Davi." I said, and then turned to Heidi and Rex, "I'll let you two battle it out about who gets which spot."

.........................................................................