Chapter 11

A couple seconds had passed. The reunited pups, now lovers, were holding each other tightly before Marshall had to snap to reality again. The rescue wasn't over, they were still the cave and the storm could hit again in any moment.

"Everest..." He said, taking a better look of Everest. Her eyes looked into him, confused, but it was a loving look. He was almost feeling bad for end their special moment, but it was imperative get them to safety.

"How are you feeling?"

"Much better..." She smiled weakly, making him blush a little.

"I-I mean, how do you feel now? Do you feel weak or dizzy, or do you have any sore paw?" He asked. Everest thought of telling him that she wasn't feeling good. She was still too exhausted and weak to make any effort, but she didn't want to worry him, not now.

"I'm ok, but if you have something to eat my tummy would thank you." she chuckled. Marshall immediately checked on his pup pack for something. There were dog treats wrapped in some cloth, which he placed gently on the floor, showing the biscuits.

Everest felt her soul go in and out of her body when the smell filled her nostrils, and chewed down like no tomorrow. Her first meal in two days.

Marshall chuckled lightly seen her like this. The husky heard him and blushed brightly. "It's ok, I saved them for you after all."

"Aren't you going to eat?" she asked.

"... no, I ate not too long ago."

Everest could sense the hesitation in his voice, he was probably lying. But when she was about to offer him to eat with her, she realized that she devoured all he gave to her. Soon she felt her strength return to her body, but this may not last for long, they had to continue, now or never.

"We have to keep going. The storm might return without warning." Marshall spoke, staring at the sky through the hole in the roof."

"Copy that." She said, still a little weak but firm.

With this both pups climbed up the pile of snow in the entrance and reached the top. They were finally out of the cave. The sunshine hit Everest's eyes for the first time in two days. She stared around but didn't find what she thought she would see.

"Marshall?"

"Yes?"

"Where are the others?" The Husky asked. "I mean, where the rest of the team is?"

Marshall stared at the snow beneath him for a second. "Probably in Jake's cabin, waiting for the storm to calm down." Marshall said with anger in his words.

It didn't take too long for Everest to realize. "You ... came to find me in the middle of the storm ... alone?"

"... yes."

A little breeze passed by as the mountain pup continued to stare at Marshall in shock. "I-I just couldn't think of anything else. I needed you." he spoke, some tears landed on the snow as he closed his eyes tightly. "Ryder wanted to wait for the storm to calm down, I couldn't bring myself to wait while you were in danger. So I took my truck when they were sleeping and drove off to the mountain..."

Just some seconds later he felt himself being pulled closer for a hug. Everest pressed her body against him, one paw around his neck, other in one of his own paws. "I can't believe you did this for me..."

"I have already told you, I love you."

*  *  *  *  *

And so, Everest and Marshall made their way back to civilization. Every now and then the fire pup would turn around to make sure she wasn't getting to tired. After all, a little meal wouldn't solve the problem of not having eaten for two whole days. Soon or late her body would get more and more exhausted with time. However, much for his surprise, Everest was doing just fine.

What he was not considering was how much his own body would resist. He lied to her earlier, he wasn't eaten either, and all the problems he thought the mountain pup would have were actually acting on him. At this rate it would be a miracle if both made it to the cabin, he thought.

Everest in the other hand was just glad she was out of that nightmare. She had the same concerns as Marshall, though. She could feel her body running out of energy again, but at a slow rate. Instead of thinking of it, she was trying to cheer Marshall up. After that moment outside the cave he wouldn't talk too much, maybe still feeling like he would have done better, or for being too daring to put himself in that kind of danger. The Husky decided to not inquire too much, but she did ask what happened with his truck, something he didn't want to answer.

Although all the complications, every time they had stopped to rest Everest asked him if they could spend some little time together before continuing, at what he would blush and accept a little nervous. Even if they weren't safe yet, she tried to be with him as much as she could.

After several hours walking they passed the mountains and made it to the little forest surrounded by rocks. Everest was starting to feel the loss of energy in her legs. Marshall noticed this, and asked if she wanted to rest again, but she would reject the offer over and over again. She didn't tell him this, but she was feeling dizzy, her head started to feel heavy, her legs were shaking a little, but she did her best to keep going.

It's been 30 minutes since they passed the mountain and Everest was feeling worse and worse. The wind was picking up out of nowhere. The could feel the wind hit their faces roughly, and before they noticed they couldn't see more than 8 feet in front.

"We have to find shelter quickly!" yelled Marshall.

But he didn't hear answer of any kind. Turning around, he found Everest lying in the ground, slowly being buried in snow.