Chapter 13

Is this how it feels to be dead? My head feels heavy, my legs are not responding. Am I even breathing? Because I can't feel it.

Everything is dark.

Where was I? I can't remember.

Wait...

I was in a forest, everything covered by snow, a big blizzard.

A storm.

My back was feeling heavy, was I carrying something?

Something? Wait, no.

Someone.

But who-?

"Thank you..." a whisper...

"Everest?! B-But, what happened? No, no, no, no, Everest!

I have to go back!

Everest...!

Shots of light were impacting in his eyes. Memories of the last three days were hitting his mind while a feeling of fear was growing in his heart. The voices of his teammates echoed in his head.

"We have to take them to the hospital, quickly!"

Ryder...

"Where's Everest?!"

Jake...

"She's right here, Jake. Come on, let's hurry!"

"Everything is ok, buddy. You two are going to be fine."

Chase...

I feel... cold...

"Two unconscious pups with serious dehydration and starvation. They look pretty bad, doctor."

"Take them to the recovery room, now!"

"Please, they are our pups, let us in, please."

"Sorry sir, you two have to wait here."

"Everest! Please miss, let us in! It was my fault..."

Where is she?! What happened to us?!

*  *  *  *  *

"Oh, you're awake." Said a voice.

"Where am I?" Marshall slowly opened his eyes and saw the bright of a tenuous white light above his head and a tall man wearing a white medic cape next to the bed he was lying on.

"How do you feel?" asked the doctor.

"Tired..." Marshall said almost whispering.

"Looks like you're getting better." Said the doctor sitting one side of the bed.

"How long have I been here?" Marshall asked looking around him.

"Almost four days."

"Four days?!" Marshall glanced at him, not believing what he was hearing. 

"You should know better than the other pups how long the recovery process is. You two were lucky that that friend of you found you."

"We are lucky-?" He was going to finish with sarcasm, but the word 'two' made his heart skip a beat as it resounded in his mind. "Everest!"

"Oh, you mean the husky?"

"Yes! Where is she?!"

"Calm down." the doctor spoke, "Your friend is fine. She's resting in the room crossing the hallway. You probably should to do the same." Marshall sighed.