Epilogue

Epilogue

She wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell.❞

-Nikita Gill

__________✧__________

It was a late sunny afternoon. The flowers were blooming filling the air with their different scents, the wind was lightly blowing moving the leaves on the trees, creating a rustling sound. Birds were singing and flying to safer branches to be protected for the upcoming night. Spring had come earlier that year, wiping out every trace of a stormy and icy winter.

Everything was quiet as if it was early morning. There, upon a small hill was standing an old oak tree; his trunk was very thick and had a lighter colour than the usual dark brown. The branches, at whose ends were sprouting the first leaves, were extended in width and height, creating a big shadow under them.

If looked closely enough, there was someone sitting under the tree, facing its trunk. It was a boy. He was sitting still, concentrated on the letters engraved in the coarse surface. On his face, you could recognise a thoughtful expression, accompanied by two dark circles under his eyes. A long sigh escaped his lips while he bowed his head resting it on his hand. In the other one, he was holding something that looked like an orange brownish stuffed animal. His hand was caressing it in a so delicate way that you could have thought that it could break in a moment.

After some time, he started whispering his thoughts, full of sorrow, but he knew well that that wouldn't have changed what happened. He knew there was no turning back. His heart would always ache.

In the meantime, another figure was observing attentively the scene from afar and it soon decided to move towards the small hill. The person quietly walked up until it was behind the now standing boy, and a while later, he decided to speak.

"You're Cole"

The boy turned around, taking in the appearance of the person standing in front of him. He didn't have to ask for his name; it was like seeing her once again but in a masculine form. Cole nodded without saying a word. The other guy took a book out of his pocket, holding it with a firm grip that his knuckles turned white.

"You hurt her, you know, when you left." He told him with a monotone voice, "She counted on you and you left her behind. You left after making her fall for you. You broke her heart."

Cole looked at Oceania's twin with a dull expression plastered in his eyes and then answered with a calm voice as if the accusations thrown at him weren't relevant to him.

"She thought you were dead. This broke her for years, almost to a point where she couldn't be fixed. She felt lonely; and where were you? I'm sure you weren't the one holding her in your arms after she was punished harshly. Where were you when she cried your name out as soon as she finally found some sleep?"

Blake stayed silent.

"Exactly. Nowhere.", finished the black-eyed boy glaring at his opponent.

"You think I don't know that? You think I'm so heartless to leave my twin sister behind, knowing she's hurting so much?! You think I'm not hurt too after reading her thoughts, trying to replay everything in my mind? - he waved the black leather journal in front of them - I lost my parents too. I lost everything I had left exactly in front of my eyes, so don't tell me what I already know! Tell me why the hell would you leave her behind; tell me why you, who had a chance, left."

He was shouting now, his heartbeat thumping faster and so loud that the guy in front of him could have almost heard it. He sighed, trying to calm down before whispering one last sentence: "You might know how it feels to lose a brother but you will never know how it feels to see them die in front of your eyes after finding them again years after."