chapter sixteen.

( ACT I; sleeping dragon. )
⟵ ◊ ⟶

chapter 16: betrayal.

JORAH'S heart sunk once he'd found Vaegon and Daenerys in the presence of the Thirteen

JORAH'S heart sunk once he'd found Vaegon and Daenerys in the presence of the Thirteen. The nobles alone were enough to draw worry unto him. From the moment they'd met the deposable nobles in their silken garbs and gold, the knight knew they were nothing but trouble for them. Despite the schorching sun and the insatiable feeling of hunger present in their bellies, Jorah had grown weary from merely their first appearance.

Yet, when faced with starvation, what could they do but beg for help while in the Garden of Bones? It almost seemed as if they were indebted for the mere fact of being saved from the merciless desert. They all knew they were stuck between a rock and hard place when it came to surviving the Waste.

Unable to find any clues of where Daenerys and Vaegon's dragons were, he'd been forced to reluctantly return with empty hands. Upon finding the Targaryen's in the presence of the nobles, he feared what would become of a bargain struck with those they barely knew, but nevertheless, his king was there in search of the dragons that had been so swiftly swept away from under them. Understandably, Vaegon would do whatever it took to find his children. The knight knew he could never be swayed so easily, nor had he ever.

"You know where they are," Vaegon uttered lowly, his rage boiling just beneath the surface. It was a marvel, Jorah knew, that he wasn't already flipping tables. Particulary because it was the dragons that had brought them there.

"I know nothing of your dragons," the Spice King retorted in his defense from where he sat, yet to Jorah it seemed the merchant was telling the truth. "What use do I have of them? Even if I were cunning enough to take them, I know you would have my head yourself."

"Indeed I would," Vaegon agreed in venom. "And if I they are not returned to me soon, I might anyways."

"Do not listen to my brothers threats," Daenerys interjects in an attempt to prevent any further hostility. "He only means to find our dragons and that is all. They are all that we have left."

"Don't show kindness toward these cravens!" Vaegon protests to her. "They've clearly taken them to add to their fortune!"

"My King only needs your help," Jorah spoke up, drawing attention to him. He has little hope the nobles will offer any help but the least he could do was speak on behalf of the enraged Vaegon.

"I understand that," the Spice King tells them. "Yet I cannot help if I know nothing of the whereabouts of your dragons. It is simply out of my hands!"

"Then please," Jorah pleaded. "Help us find them. We have run through our resources."

What would they do if they never found the dragons? Jorah thought on the possibility with much dispair, knowing that all efforts to return the Targaryen's to the Iron Throne would never happen. Without dragons, let alone any supporters, they would be in the same position they were in when in the care of Magister Illyrio.