Chapter 11 - Confused/Certain Feelings

The air was extra cold the next day as Riley, Lucas and Maya made their way home from school. Maya held onto Lucas' hand the whole way, in an attempt to keep warm. Though honestly, it wasn't that cold Maya was just looking for an excuse. Lucas wasn't complaining, he enjoyed keeping her so close to him.
"Are we going to Topanga's?" Lucas asked as the gang slowed down out the front.
"You go ahead, I need to talk to Farkle." Riley kept walking, she even picked up her pace.
Maya and Lucas sat in a booth, talking and laughing for a good hour or more. That's when Lucas realised something he hadn't told her not after Texas not even after Riley forced them together in the 9th grade for a week, he still hadn't told her everything.
"Maya, I can't imagine life with out you. I know you don't like talking about feelings and messy things like that but I'm sorry Maya, I love you. I'm tough enough to lose everything but you. I can't lose the person I love, not again." Maya leans in so that they are barely apart. "No one will ever stop me from loving you as much as I do right now."
Lucas places his hand on her chin, to pull her closer.

Meanwhile...
Riley walked right up to Farkle's room, she had practiced what she was going to say the whole way here.
"Farkle, I know I am going to sound crazy but please let me finish. I prepared for this."
Farkle nodded in approval.
"I didn't think it was possible to fall in love with someone like you. I always thought people might judge me and that I would have to justify myself constantly. But I want to be with you no matter how many people stare or call me names I want to be beside you. I think I love you but I don't know what that is so I hope you understand that you matter so much to me that the mere thought of losing you brings me to tears." Riley took in a big breath to continue. "I couldn't hold it in anymore and I don't expect you to come leaping into my arms but I wanted you to know how I felt."
Farkle's was frozen. He had no idea what to say or how to say it. "Riley, I...um..I..don't....I...um didn't know you felt like that at all." Riley's heart beat stopped as a feeling of dread washed over her. "I don't think I feel the same way." Any hope that she was holding onto broke into a million little pieces.
A tear trickled down Riley's cheek which she quickly wiped away. "I understand, I'll get out of your hair." She turned around and ran. She ran out of the hospital and through the park. She ran past the office buildings and her apartment. She ran until she couldn't feel her legs. Riley ran until her body collapsed outside a block of units. Riley let the tears run into her hair, messing up the elegance that it once was. Riley saw people walk past and not even notice her weeping state, which just made her cry more. After about 10 minutes Zay walked out of the units and saw his friend crying.