Chapter 2 - The Walk Home

Maya had been sobbing and talking about all the stuff she would miss about Owen. Lucas listened and held her close when she started sobbing. Maya listened to Lucas talking about baseball, football, homework and a bunch of other stuff for a very long time. It wasn't until Maya looked at Lucas' watch did she realise she had to be home for dinner.
Lucas offered her a piggy back ride which she accepted, after all her apartment was 3 blocks away. Lucas tired to make her laugh with all his corny jokes but all he could manage was a weak, half-hearted smile. He just wanted to see her happy again. Every time she smiled, he relaxed knowing that she was okay.
It bothered him that she didn't let him talk to Owen but he did what he was ask to do and that was to leave Owen alone and not tell anyone what happened that afternoon.
"Maya, are sure your ok?" He said as he placed her at the door of the red brick apartment building.
"I'm fine Huckleberry, I think I just need to rest, I'll be fine," she said as she closed the door behind her.
Lucas stayed at the door for a few extra minutes, just wondering if she felt that tension in the air between them, it was good tension. He turned around and started walking home taking in the sites around him. A little kid holding his grandmother's hand as they walked down the busy New York streets. A dozen or more business men and women hurrying to and from the subway. Pigeons struggling to find food on the dirty NY City streets. His thoughts then turned to this afternoon's events...

Why Maya confided in him instead of ringing Riley?

Why did she let him keep his arm around her for so long?

Why she told him not to tell anyone?

Why didn't she laugh at the most cheesy corny jokes ever like she normally did?

But he dismissed all these thoughts when he got The Call.
This Call that changed everything...