Chapter 3 - The Call

It was exactly 5:48pm when Lucas got The Call.
The Call that made his heart beat faster and faster.
The Call that seem to make time go too fast, like he was fighting to keep up.
The Call that made them all run to the hospital faster then ever before.

Lucas got in his car picked up Maya and before they knew it, they were running through the hospital looking for him, searching for him. They found Riley sitting on the chair next to the bed crying. Maya rushed to his side holding his hand and started to tear up. Lucas stood there thinking and staring. Cory, Topanga and Minkus were on the other side of the room, Lucas hadn't even noticed them until Minkus said it was a coma.
"I should of been there, I should of been with him," Lucas said fighting the urge to hit something. His knuckles were going white.
"We all should have," Maya said standing up and walking over to him. Trying to calm Lucas down by grabbing his hands.
"There's nothing I can do now, is there daddy?" Said Riley, she didn't sound like herself. She sounded lost, confused and disoriented, well more then usual.
"No Sweetie, not now," Cory's voice was full of regret. Regret for what? What did he regret?
"Lucas calm down," Maya said grabbing his clenched fists.
Lucas took long breathes trying to relax but nothing was working. All he could see was a lifeless body, laying in a white hospital bed. His friend never looked like that, his friend looked........dead.
"I should of been there," he said ripping his hands away from her.
"There's nothing you could of done, Farkle was hit by an out of control car," Maya tried to reason with him but he wasn't even making eye contact.
"I SHOULD HAVE BEEN THERE!!!" He screamed as he swung around and hit the wall leaving a pretty descent sized hole, he then stormed off.
Maya followed closely behind, she eventually caught up with him in the car park. His head hung low as he sat on the dinghy wooden bench outside.
"Lucas it's not your flaunt," Maya said sitting next to him, still cautious of the fact that he is on edge.
"Of course it's my flaunt," Lucas mumbled.
"How? How could any of this be your flaunt?" Maya was puzzled and slightly frustrated that he would tell her anything.
"He asked for a ride but I blew him off for..." He stopped himself from saying anymore.
"I'm listening," Maya was getting more agitated.
"It doesn't matter, the point is it is my flaunt," Lucas turned away.
"Lucas, how is this anyone's flaunt? How?" Her voice rose.

There was a brief moment of silence

"Lucas, why did you blow him off?"
"Look does it really matter!!" Lucas said as he stood up from the seat.
"Lucas......Lucas look at me," Maya stood up, grabbed his arm and turning him to look directly at her.
"What?" His generally laid back, calm voice was replaced by an angry, tone.
"Why? Lucas," Maya searched his eyes.
"Because," he avoided eye contact, looking at his shoes instead.
"Lucas tell me," Maya's voice remained calm yet stern.
"Because of you," his eyes locked with hers.
"Oh." Maya let it sink in. "You blew off Farkle for me?" She whispered, trying to wrap her head around it.
"Yeah," he shrugged before starting to walk back to the hospital but Maya was frozen in place, unable to move. A moment or two passed before she spoke again.
"Lucas, why?" Maya's voice was distant. Lucas turned back with an annoyed expression plastered on his face. "Why did you blow of Farkle for me?"
Lucas had been expecting this question, though he wasn't sure he wanted to hear his answer. He wasn't sure she wanted the answer he was about to give her.
"Because he seemed his normal Farkle self whereas you were sad, I knew you needed someone with you,"
"I could've called Riley," Maya reasoned with him.
"I wasn't going to let you down in your hour of need,"
"Lucas I would've been fine."
"I also didn't think you needed to be left by two guys in one day."
"Two different scenarios. You were going to hung out with another friend whereas he left me because he's a poo-bum wee-face jerk."
"I didn't want the bad memories of our break up to back come into your mind." Lucas broke eye contact again. "I didn't want you to get upset all over again."
"You really think that's all I think about, really?" Maya put her hands on her hips. "Ugh! Seriously?" To say Maya was pissed would be an understatement. "Wait, is that what you've been thinking about?"
Lucas' feet were frozen in place. His eyes glued open and mouth clapped shut.
"Lucas, you don't....no you can't.....no not possible," Maya refused to believe he's feelings.
Lucas simply nodded.