Interrogation

Kilorn's POV

Sitting on the shore and trying to catch fish was the only distraction I had. It was the only thing that could pull me from my thoughts. We moved from Tuck in the second they captured Mare. Which still made me angry, how could she just give herself out? It still made me seethe with rage, how could that brat Maven do this? Now we are here at some base, in the middle of the woods. In the middle of nowhere. The only good thing about this place was the river I was sitting at.

A gruff voice comes from behind me, "Kilorn". A gasp falls from my lips and I feel my heart beating erratically. I turn, and there I see him. Cal is always angry since Mare was taken. I sometimes even hear how he punches the wall in his room. No one seems to want to be in his proximity. Even just you breathing wrong seemed to set him off.

"They want us in the headquarters," he says, still leaning against the tree with hands in his pockets. We've finally stopped arguing and started to work together. Her disappearance made sure of that. I stand up and follow behind him, keeping my distance since his temperature is too high. He always seemed to radiate such heat it made everyone nervous. We were walking to the headquarters. For a while, I thought none of us was going to say anything, but then I broke the silence, "Why do they want to see us?!"

"It's some information about Mare," he answered so quietly. In his eyes, I saw the same sadness, same that I felt for these past days. We didn't hear about her for all week and finally. I don't know if to be afraid or happy.

We walk through the door and see the commander, Willis Farley. He doesn't even give us a look, still too engaged in the monitor. I sit next to Farley, while she is trying to hide her belly. What will Mare do when she finds out that Farley is having Shaed's baby? She would probably be ecstatic. I look at Cal sitting next to me. Then I see Cameron walking in. She doesn't give anyone a look. She is still too engrossed in trying to save her brother like Mare tried before she gave up for us. Then I noticed Julian sitting next to Cal. Willis nods at one of the boys. A silent command that makes the boy put on the screen. We see how a blond man with blue eyes walks to Mare and whispers something into her ear. Her face pales.

"That's Samson," Cal says to the room. Farley informed everyone that our man inside put the cameras on. And something that made me mad was that the only thing we would do for a while was just watch. The man looks deeply into Mare's eyes. She tries to resist, but then we hear a scream. My body goes rigid, I never liked it when someone screams out of pain especially not her. She tugs at his hands and tries to push herself the furthest away she can get from him. She squirms and her hands go to her head. As if she's trying to shield her thoughts from him. Kneeling before the man I realised this was just broadcasted torture. Then she stops trashing. I notice blood coming from her ears.

"She's fighting," says Tramy. Suddenly the man, Samson smiles, as if he can feel a change in her. Something inside her seems to snap and I can see blood coming from her nose now. Samson steps back and looks at Maven. But the camera stays solely on Mare. We see her tremble. Then she falls flat on her face and I cringe at the fall, especially since nothing cushioned the fall on her already swollen cheek. A bald man picks her up, and now we can see how her white shirt is dirty from the red blood. Her head falls back. Samson turns back on Mare. He smirks and again looks into her eyes, his fingers curl around her hair. He forces her head up by it, so their eyes meet. She spits blood from her mouth on his face. A proud feeling swells inside me. With anger, he wipes the blood off his face. He puts his hand in a fist to punch her. His elbow comes back, ready to take his anger out, and I look away unable to watch.

"Stop!" My head snaps towards the screen at Mavens' voice. Now he wasn't sitting on his throne, but he was standing, his hand still clutching the throne. As if he was holding onto it like holding onto his power. I sigh in relief.

"Take her to her room!" Maven commands, his voice more steady than he seems. The bald man carries her out. Willis commands to switch off the screen. No one says anything, but then Cal stands up.

He calls onto the consciousness of all of us, "We have to do something!" His clenched fists show how angry he is. His eyes on the other hand show determination and so much grief.

"We don't have the means for that," says the commander. I see how Farley looks down. Cameron does the same. They are sorry. But I understand Cal's feelings, his heart is in love, and he will not accept just giving up.

"She will be tortured even more!" Cal goes on, and I can see fire pulsing under his skin. Everyone breathes heavily. When no one answers, Cal angrily storms out of the room, door slamming behind him. Cameron runs behind him.

Farley gives us a fleeting look, "All of you can go." She dismisses us and leans onto the computer table. Then Willis finishes for her, "We will inform you of any news!" After that, everyone starts to leave. And my expression turns sour. This is for nothing!

Little short chapter, next will be longer( I hope😂). Don't forget to comment which team you are. Cal, Maven, or even Kilorn?

PS: I don't understand why my 16-year-old self was writing in 1st person, Jesus